🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaBarb

Aqua}^>holic
🏆 Tank of the Year 🏆
3x Fish of the Month 🌟
4x Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for ideas on colourful fish/es to introduce next to my 200 litre tank.

Current stocking:
12 dwarf neon rainbows
8 albino corys

Ph 7.4/Gh 13°

*One thought was live bearers for bright colours but i wouldnt want loads of fry all the time. Any that dont breed to much? Will fry even survive?

*Be great if i could get something to occupied mid to top level

Just looking for options so any ideas would be welcome

Gone against the idea of sedate fish like gourami or an angel. ( rainbows are pretty active)

Thank you

Last edited:
Assuming the GH is in degrees (?) that is moderately hard to hard, so livebearers would work. Males only avoids the fry problem.

Assuming the GH is in degrees (?) that is moderately hard to hard, so livebearers would work. Males only avoids the fry problem.

Yes sorry i meant GH 13°

Are livebearers best in groups of 6+ like tetras etc.

If i considered male/female groups would say 1 sailfin male molly with 4/5 female molly work or is that ratio not compatible?

Yes sorry i meant GH 13°

Are livebearers best in groups of 6+ like tetras etc.

If i considered male/female groups would say 1 sailfin male molly with 4/5 female molly work or is that ratio not compatible?

Livebearers are not shoaling species so they do not have an inherent need for specific numbers. However, your tank size is going to limit things, and mollies are a large fish at 3 inches (males) and 5 inches (females) with females sometimes reaching 6 inches. You need multiple females p[er male as th4e male will drive them very hard and this spreads it around, but I would not have females unless you have multiple tanks for fry (they cannot all get eaten, and each of the four or five females will produce a batch every month and that adds up to hundreds) and a plan for getting rid of them--usually this means euthanasia as there are so many and stores cannot sell them.

Livebearers are not shoaling species so they do not have an inherent need for specific numbers. However, your tank size is going to limit things, and mollies are a large fish at 3 inches (males) and 5 inches (females) with females sometimes reaching 6 inches. You need multiple females p[er male as th4e male will drive them very hard and this spreads it around, but I would not have females unless you have multiple tanks for fry (they cannot all get eaten, and each of the four or five females will produce a batch every month and that adds up to hundreds) and a plan for getting rid of them--usually this means euthanasia as there are so many and stores cannot sell them.
Oh right, i best stick to males then if i go for livebearers. Dont fancy hundreds lol

1 option at least

Thanks Byron

Hi,

Looking for ideas on colourful fish/es to introduce next to my 200 litre tank.

Current stocking:
12 dwarf neon rainbows
8 albino corys

Ph 7.4/Gh 13°

*One thought was live bearers for bright colours but i wouldnt want loads of fry all the time. Any that dont breed to much? Will fry even survive?

*Be great if i could get something to occupied mid to top level

Just looking for options so any ideas would be welcome

Gone against the idea of sedate fish like gourami or an angel. ( rainbows are pretty active)

Thank you
How about Golden White Cloud Minnows? Pretty, active, and mid level.

How about Golden White Cloud Minnows? Pretty, active, and mid level.
Hi Deanasue,

I do like the cloud Minnows but arent these cooler water fish?

With the fish i have in already i run the tank at 77/78

Last edited:
WCM Minnows should be no warmer than room temperature, true. You could lower the tank temperature a bit here anyway, around 75F is warm enough for the dwarf rainbowfish, and cories will like this.

I agree with Bryon. Mollies are quite big.
You can consider Platies as they are smaller.

But if you like active fish, Danios (from Cyprinid family) species are probably the best.
There are many species of Danios such as Leopard and Zebra Danios.
Some smaller species of Danios are the Glowlight Danios, Ring Danios. (but please check their water requirements from the internets).
Ring Danios might be a bit small but they are beautiful.

Barbs(Cyprinid) species are also very active.
I recommend either Five Banded Barbs or the Cherry Barbs. Avoid Tiger Barbs which are too aggressive.

Tetras(from Characin family) species are also very active and there are about 50+ species available in the aquarium trade today.
But please check their water requirements.

Rasboras(Cyprinid) species are also nice.
Harlequin Rasboras is one of the most tightest schooling fish.

Don't get too large fish for schooling fish since you need to get them in a group 6(minimum).

Also, don't get fish that is too small as they don't look good in a big tank (you can't really see them - my opinion)
Most schooling fish are active.

Here are some websites and videos for you to view the fish.

Cyprinid family:
http://www.qianhufish.com/fish-catalogue/cyprinids

Characin family:
http://www.qianhufish.com/fish-catalogue/characins

Videos:

Last edited:
I agree with Bryon. Mollies are quite big.
You can consider Platies as they are smaller.

But if you like active fish, Danios (from Cyprinid family) species are probably the best.
There are many species of Danios such as Leopard and Zebra Danios.
Some smaller species of Danios are the Glowlight Danios, Ring Danios. (but please check their water requirements from the internets).
Ring Danios might be a bit small but they are beautiful.

Barbs(Cyprinid) species are also very active.
I recommend either Five Banded Barbs or the Cherry Barbs. Avoid Tiger Barbs which are too aggressive.

Tetras(from Characin family) species are also very active and there are about 50+ species available in the aquarium trade today.
But please check their water requirements.

Rasboras(Cyprinid) species are also nice.
Harlequin Rasboras is one of the most tightest schooling fish.

Don't get too large fish for schooling fish since you need to get them in a group 6(minimum).

Also, don't get fish that is too small as they don't look good in a big tank (you can't really see them - my opinion)
Most schooling fish are active.

Here are some websites and videos for you to view the fish.

Cyprinid family:
http://www.qianhufish.com/fish-catalogue/cyprinids

Characin family:
http://www.qianhufish.com/fish-catalogue/characins

Videos:

Thats brill thank you im not to far away from maidenhead aquatics where those videos were taken. (Love the odessa barbs, it was between them and the rainbows when i started this tank)

Ive got some zebra danios and cherry barbs in my other tank (great liittle fish) id like something different in the bigger tank.

I like the black and red phantom tetras.
Also considering harlequin rasbora's.

Loads to think about.

Thanks for you time

Id love some odessa barbs. They would be my first choice if any but ive heard they can be fin nippers..

Odessa barbs aren't fin nippers. Tiger barbs are the worst barb for fin nipping, most other barbs are fine and don't normally cause problems. However, if you have slow moving fish or fish with long fins, they won't get much food with barbs in the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back