on 21st June, we'll be slap bang in the middel of winter here in S.A., so obviously, I have some potent (4kw geyser elements) in my outside ponds to try maintain a water temp around the 26 deg C margin......
The past 3 days, I noticed that the fish are'nt eating as vigorously as usual, so decided today that maybe a good water change is necessary.... When I put my hand in the water to submerge the syphoning hose........Ice cold.
The guppy pond was 10deg C and the platy, molly and swordtail ponds were all at 12 degrees...... On checking, the outside plugs tripped on the main switchboard...(probably overload with 4 x 4kw heaters connected to one plug)
The fish were all fine considering that we've been having fluctuations between 6 and 22deg C day temperatures since Monday. The guppies and Platies seemed the least (if at all) affected by the colder water. The swords and particularly the Mollies was sluggish and slow moving, but all survived.
I wonder if the fact that they are of many generations, (at least 10 years) year round outside stock, has evalutionised them to acclimatise to the elements....
The past 3 days, I noticed that the fish are'nt eating as vigorously as usual, so decided today that maybe a good water change is necessary.... When I put my hand in the water to submerge the syphoning hose........Ice cold.
The guppy pond was 10deg C and the platy, molly and swordtail ponds were all at 12 degrees...... On checking, the outside plugs tripped on the main switchboard...(probably overload with 4 x 4kw heaters connected to one plug)
The fish were all fine considering that we've been having fluctuations between 6 and 22deg C day temperatures since Monday. The guppies and Platies seemed the least (if at all) affected by the colder water. The swords and particularly the Mollies was sluggish and slow moving, but all survived.
I wonder if the fact that they are of many generations, (at least 10 years) year round outside stock, has evalutionised them to acclimatise to the elements....







