Cold Weather, Ro Membranes, And You

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SkiFletch

Professor Beaker
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that as your tapwater cools in the winter months your RO units will slow down. Cold water decreases the ability of an RO membrane to allow water to pass through its micropores and as such your RO discharge will slow significantly over the coming months. If the lower discharge is a problem for you, just connect a slightly longer tapwater supply line to the RO unit and coil up the excess in a bucket of warm water. This way your input water is warmed back up and the RO unit functions at an acceptable speed.

Enjoy the winter :good:

I'll also make the most of this thread by giving a heads up to all the aussie peepz out there - it's gonna be a warm summer so keep those reefs chilled 8) :D B)

Enjoy the Summer :good:

I'll also make the most of this thread by giving a heads up to all the aussie peepz out there - it's gonna be a warm summer so keep those reefs chilled 8) :D B)

Enjoy the Summer :good:

And make sure you collect your waste RO water efficiently, and dont forget to turn the RO unit off when your done! :good:

haha quite funi reading this, as i was just thinking today why is it going so slow....and then almost forgot to turn it off before i go to bed it was right at the top of the brim of the bucket about to overflow!

at least i know tis not broken :)

Just wanted to give everyone the heads up that as your tapwater cools in the winter months your RO units will slow down. Cold water decreases the ability of an RO membrane to allow water to pass through its micropores and as such your RO discharge will slow significantly over the coming months. If the lower discharge is a problem for you, just connect a slightly longer tapwater supply line to the RO unit and coil up the excess in a bucket of warm water. This way your input water is warmed back up and the RO unit functions at an acceptable speed.

Enjoy the winter :good:

good tip Ski, thanks!

ours is slow at the moment anyway, they're working on the water supply around ours at the moment so the water pressure's dropped a little. not too bad though and only for a few weeks so fingers crossed it'll be OK!

:D

If you are going to that trouble just tap the hot water supply line instead.

Never put hot water through your Reverse Osmosis Unit - it will seriously & permanently damage the RO Membrane

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back