Cockatoos Unusual Parenting Behaviour?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

embsidney20

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have jus come back from holiday to find my two cockatoos in a log cave with hundreds of fry.
I am guessing they are about 2-3 days old. All fry are swimming very well!!
I cannot remove the young as I dont have a spare tank etc, but have read that I should remove the male as he will eat the young.
Last night I caught both mum & dad scooping the fry into their mouths and eventually I could see no more fry. I was suprised to come home today and see them all again in vast numbers near the entrance to the cave and then witnessed mum and dad scooping the young up again but actually depositing them back at the rear of the cave. They both seem to be doing really well at keeping the young safe and warding off fellow inmates, even my oblivious corys have taken a beating from dad!
But I was wondering if all of this behaviour was natural? As I havent seen anything about it whilst looking up. They are both very delicate when handling their babies and dont actually spit them out, just hold their mouths open and the fry swim back out .
Going against everything about the dad eating the babies and even mum as this is their first batch of bubas! Confuuuused!

And have now just noticed a male and female krib schooling a very very large amount of bigger fry around the rocks!! They kept them secret well!!

That's actually fairly common...  Mouthbrooding like that is the way that they can transport the fry to "safer" locations without exposing them to danger from one hiding spot to another.

Congrats!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back