Cockatoo Behaviour & Sexing

yeh hell be a juvie, will probably develop into a male, i would take him back other wise they will fight
lol my LFS are going to love me - Ive got to take back 2 Harlequin Rasbora now as well - they've just gone belly up :sad: . Checked my water & it's as good as it'll ever be so...........

And yes Matt - they have gone in the shells :lol: & surprisingly also the 2 Spongebob houses! Looks like my boys had the right idea getting me to put those in after all

The coloured one is def a male, I'd say the other is female. Reasoning? No distinct colouring in the fins, whats there is normal for a female. Truckasaurus, the cobalt yellow you are talking about in females is a breeding colour, almost all apisto species only show this when they are ready to breed or have fry, otherwise a dull yellow/grey is the the norm. Also males develop filaments off their pelvic fins, this is rarely developod on females and then usually on very mature
male, showing filaments
cac1copy.jpg

female
100_3285_resize.jpg

Ive just purchased some of these fish so have been reading up on them - The females will turn yellow when ready for breeding. Females also have a black stripe on their pelvic fins which with maturity will turn black all over

Thanks people - I've just got back in from work & they seem to be getting along nicely now - perhaps it was just a case of 'stress from moving house' we all know what that's like eh? :lol:

If hes anything like my male dont bother! He has 3 females he completely ignores!! :lol:

I don't know yet - the pair seem happy enough at the moment so will wait & see how things develop - no point in buying any more if they get ignored - that's not a good life for anyone :lol:

Most reactions

Back