Cockatoo Behaviour & Sexing

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've bought 3 Cockatoo Dwarves yesterday (1 male & 2 female supposedly), but have had to take the smallest female back today as she was being bullied by the other 2 :( . Since then, the male has started to chase the other female away - is there anything I can do to stop this, should I just add 2 more 'big' females & hope he winds his neck in like a good boy when he's outnumbered & hen-pecked? :lol: . Also, after checking some pictures, can someone please confirm that I do have 1 male & 1 female :huh: . All help is much appreciated:
Female?

Male?

Male again?

Both together

youve definately got a male and female

like what you've done with the java moss and the coconut shells ;) lol

:lol: are you just touting for business now? Do you reckon I should just get another couple of females then & hope he gets the fishy version of testosterone slapped out of him :lol: . Ironic really - I wanted him cause he had a right attitude at the LFS :lol:

according to my two books on dwarf cichlids, you have two males

oh.....bugger :crazy: . I thought (& so did the LFS staff obviously) that the males have the colouration while the females are duller? I take it that's not always the case?

the males are darker but more paternous if thats a word :lol:

can you get a better picture, or make them bigger? so i can see their patterns and finage?

males have long dorsal fins (first three rays)

can you get a bigger pic? so i can see fins properly? but females are generally like a lemon yellow colour

males have long dorsal fins (first three rays)

can you get a bigger pic? so i can see fins properly? but females are generally like a lemon yellow colour

I'll try & edit these on photobucket then re-post them - the little sods come & pose then run off when I try & take a pic :shout:

OK - think I've managed to get the photos a bit larger:

pair-1.jpg

male-1.jpg

female-1.jpg

male2-1.jpg

Though probably not as sharp now :S

Obviously the one with the lovely colouration is a male - it's the other I'm unsure on

i know the coloured on is male, but does the duller one have extended rays on the dorsal fin? (the first three?)

Not extended - or at least nowhere near as pronounced - it looks more like a flat top than a spike & the first 3 or 4 are all black - the rest of the 'finnage' has no colour

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back