Reaction score
I have seen mention of CO2 diffusers and I would like to know
What are they?
What do they do?
How do they work?
Is it worth buying one?

Any information would be helpful.

What are they?
As the name says, It diffuses CO2 into the water as a fine mist.
What do they do?
When hooked up to a CO2 Kit, The co2 will be pushed through the diffuser. This produces a fine mist of CO2, Which then becomes part of the water. The plants will then use this CO2 and produce Oxygen in replace of it. Without the diffuser you'll get huge bubbles that will quickly travel to the surface and be useless. You want that fine mist to give the CO2 a chance to mix with the water!
How do they work?
As above
Is it worth buying one?

There is no " Is it worth buying" as you really need one as part of your CO2 set up.

Two main types the ladder type
flipper.jpg

and the porous membrane type, 

514QSYERn7L._SX355_.jpg

as can be seen in the 1st image as the bubbles of Co2 travel up the ladder they get smaller as the gas is dissolved, (but are quite intrusive in appearance and size. probably the better option for yeast generated systems) 
with the porous  ceramic membrane type little tiny bubbles are generated again as a method of increasing the amount of gas dissolved.

Co2 is used in planted aquariums it helps certain species of plants thrive that wouldn't do so well in a regular tank set up , Plants "breath" Carbon dioxide as part of the photosynthesis process, cheapest method to produce and run a Co2 system is via a DIY yeast generator http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHy4CtmnzeA, for more control "pressurised"  Co2 Cylinder type systems are prefered http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKd31YTURbs

Thanks for the advice.
My tank (240L) only has 3 plants and they all appear to be growing well. I don't have a CO2 system so I guess at this time I don't really need one.
But I will bear it in mind for the future.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back