CO2 and PH levels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

betta86

Reaction score
Hi all,
Iā€™m very new to the hobby and have just taken some test strips to check my levels. The Tetra app is telling me in need to buy a CO2 booster as my PH levels are too high and my CO2 levels are too low.

Iā€™ve attached the figures that the strips have given me. I also tested my Ammonia levels which are at 0.

I have one plant at the moment and three moss balls but I have more plants arriving soon so want to make sure Iā€™m doing the right thing for them but also for my Betta of course.

Iā€™ve heard that the CO2 booster is dangerous so Iā€™m just looking for advice on how to go forward.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 95AF5669-4A8C-4FAD-B152-89B08B62BC1C.jpeg
    95AF5669-4A8C-4FAD-B152-89B08B62BC1C.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 97
Hi all,
Iā€™m very new to the hobby and have just taken some test strips to check my levels. The Tetra app is telling me in need to buy a CO2 booster as my PH levels are too high and my CO2 levels are too low.

Iā€™ve attached the figures that the strips have given me. I also tested my Ammonia levels which are at 0.

I have one plant at the moment and three moss balls but I have more plants arriving soon so want to make sure Iā€™m doing the right thing for them but also for my Betta of course.

Iā€™ve heard that the CO2 booster is dangerous so Iā€™m just looking for advice on how to go forward.
Thank you!
Wouldnt worry about it. Available CO2 is more available in lower acidic ph but not to the point where it will be detrimental to your tank or plants. Using chemicals or additives to raise or lower ph will do more damage than good. Adding liquid co2 or pressurized co2 without all the other proper fertilizers and high lights isnt worth o es time for 1 or 2 plants in a betta tank.
Most important for plants is balanced light and nutrients. Get a comprehensive liquid fert, seachem flourish has at least 17 nutrients plants need. Rooted plants need nutrients to roots, this can be accomplished by root tabs. Get a comprehensive root tab. Seachem makes a good one. Liquid fert root tabs and regular water changes will be far more beneficial to your plants and water than will the addition of Co2

API CO2 Booster is indeed dangerous, to plants, fish and bacteria. It is glutaraldehyde, same as Seachem's Excel. Do not use this.

I agree with above post too.

Wouldnt worry about it. Available CO2 is more available in lower acidic ph but not to the point where it will be detrimental to your tank or plants. Using chemicals or additives to raise or lower ph will do more damage than good. Adding liquid co2 or pressurized co2 without all the other proper fertilizers and high lights isnt worth o es time for 1 or 2 plants in a betta tank.
Most important for plants is balanced light and nutrients. Get a comprehensive liquid fert, seachem flourish has at least 17 nutrients plants need. Rooted plants need nutrients to roots, this can be accomplished by root tabs. Get a comprehensive root tab. Seachem makes a good one. Liquid fert root tabs and regular water changes will be far more beneficial to your plants and water than will the addition of Co2
Thanks so much for your detailed reply! Itā€™s good to be learning about all this and Iā€™m glad I hadnā€™t used any CO2 yet. Iā€™ll look into getting some fert root tabs! Always keen to not use anything that could potentially harm my fish or plants. Not keen on using chemicals if I donā€™t have to. Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

Back