Clown Loaches.... Aggressive?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sbga

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I went to PetSmart yesterday to look at fish. I decided to get a couple clown loaches, and some cory cats. The lady working there asks me what kind of fish I have in my tank. I tell her I have hatchetfish, zebra danios, and dwarf gouramis. She looks at me like I'm stupid and says "You can't keep clown loaches with zebra danios, the danios will get eaten. Clown loaches are aggressive fish." I started laughing and informed her of her wrongness. She continued to argue with me, even after I told her I have several years experience keeping fish and have researched clown loaches several times. She tells me "I have experience too, I work here", as if working at petsmart qualifies you as having experience. Finally, she disappears into the back for about 5 minutes, with my clown loaches still sitting in the bag, comes back with her manager and gets me the cory cats I wanted. The whole experience really ticked me off, and I want to complain. Should I e-mail there website, or talk to the store manager, or both?

So, I went to PetSmart yesterday to look at fish. I decided to get a couple clown loaches, and some cory cats. The lady working there asks me what kind of fish I have in my tank. I tell her I have hatchetfish, zebra danios, and dwarf gouramis. She looks at me like I'm stupid and says "You can't keep clown loaches with zebra danios, the danios will get eaten. Clown loaches are aggressive fish." I started laughing and informed her of her wrongness. She continued to argue with me, even after I told her I have several years experience keeping fish and have researched clown loaches several times. She tells me "I have experience too, I work here", as if working at petsmart qualifies you as having experience. Finally, she disappears into the back for about 5 minutes, with my clown loaches still sitting in the bag, comes back with her manager and gets me the cory cats I wanted. The whole experience really ticked me off, and I want to complain. Should I e-mail there website, or talk to the store manager, or both?

talking to someone directly would be best

i would talk to the store manager and mention how his employees are giving wrong advise

Maybe they label them as "aggressive" because of their potential adult size? The woman seemed rather rude to you though, so maybe you should complain to the manager. I figure an email on the website would be ignored. Although Petsmart has been known to say odd things. They informed me that tinfoil barbs would be perfectly fine in a 20 gallon and that putting them with zebra danios would be okay. :p

i have clown loaches and they dont even realize the zebra danios are there

There have been many unsubstantiated reports regarding clowns, especially those in breeding mode, chowing down on smaller, upper strata fish.

i've had my ciown loaches for quite awhile and have never seen any aggression,they're even buddies with my kribs.i would complain to the store manager,you're right,just because someone works in a pet store does'nt always mean they know what they're talking about.

That's actually hilarious! :rofl:
"I have experience too, I work here." :rofl:

Whatever happened to that old saying, "The customer is always right?" These days the sales help seems to think they say whatever they want to the customers and it's OK. Sorry, but it's not. But complaining about them will probably not do any good at all. :/

reminds me when i asked about the dps n the guy told me they were brackish.....

i bought them n put em in my freshwater tank... still fine...
they were labeled 'freshwater dwarf puffer'....

some people r so stupid :S

I Have recently bought some clown loaches to control my snail issue. They are very friendly fish and play with my corys all the time. I am wondering if this lady has got confused with Tiger Barbs as I hear they are aggressive and they possess similar markings. I didnt realise just how big the clowns can grow. My 180 ltr tank may need upgrading in a few years.
By the way I had at least 50 snails in my tank. The clowns have only been in 3 days and there is no sign of any snails now !!

i have clown loaches and they dont even realize the zebra danios are there

If they're in the 60L that (according to your profile) your 4 zebra danio's are in, you need to take them back. In fact your stocking list is horrendous, I'll copy and paste it here so someone else can help you decide what you're going to take back:

we have a JUWEL AQUARIUM MONOLUX
60 liter tank

FISH

3 x neon tetras
1 x frogs
4 x zebra danios
2 x sucker loaches
3 x black widows
3 x plattys
4 x conga tetras
3 x serpa tetras
3 x x-ray fish
1 x glass catfish
1 x fighting fish
3 x guppies
plus 1 baby

Maybe she doesn't know the difference between a Red Tailed Black Shark and a Clown Loach. :crazy:

I've found these big branded stores to be quite weird. They ask questions that most other lfs don't, like how big ya tank is, what do you already have in it, when did you last introduce fish etc. All seemingly good but then they clearly quite dumb on matters like this. Her rudeness is another matter.

I've have clown loaches and never seen them aggressive to any other fish. My rainbow shark and angel fish might chase others, but I've never had similar problems with any of my clowns.

I have been considering Clown Loaches myself. Just how big do they typically grow to in the Aquarium ? They would be with Tiger Barbs, Severum, and Silver Dollars.

I have been considering Clown Loaches myself. Just how big do they typically grow to in the Aquarium ? They would be with Tiger Barbs, Severum, and Silver Dollars.

Ideally you should have a 400ltr+ tank. Then you'll be good with a few of them. Keep them in groups of at least 3.

Biggest I've seen is about 9" but I believe they can get bigger. After a quick growth to about 4" their growth rate is real slow, but I believe they live for over 25 years.

The above facts are what I think I remember from previous posts on here. So please correct me if you know different!

They are very slow growers but should get to around 8" in time,

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back