Clown loach community tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

maadi

Reaction score
I adopted a couple of tanks from neighbors who didn't want them anymore, and I recently consolidated them into one large tank. What other fish could I add to keep everyone happy?

The tank is about 120 gallons (24" wide, 48" long, 27" tall) with rocks, logs, and clay hiding cylinders, a few plants and also some floating plants like watercress and water hyacinth from my pond. It is on a covered patio so it gets a lot of natural light, water bugs, and algae growing on the surfaces. I'm hoping the floating plants provide some shade for the loaches, who have only been coming out at night and early morning. The bottom is currently gravel though I plan to add sand as I've read that's better for the loaches.

Current residents are: 3 clown loaches (2-3" long), 1 clown pleco (less than 2" long), 1 Chinese algae eater (about 4-5" long), and 1 lonely otocinclus. Also trumpet snails and pond snails. There may be a few ghost shrimp hiding, though I've only seen one occasionally.

I'd like to add some schooling fish since the current residents are mostly hiding or don't move much during the day. What would be a good mix? Neon tetras, danios, mollies, swordtails? Would honey gouramis do ok? Can I add any more loaches in this size of tank? I'd like to add more otocinclus to keep this one company, but what I've read about their capture and survival rates is atrocious. Is it possible to find captive bred otocinclus?

Also, would it be best to remove all of the gravel or could I add sand to one section, or on top of the gravel?

Thanks for any tips!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back