Cloudy Water

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Joined
Oct 1, 2008
Messages
2,133
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I set my new aquarium up on Saturday evening. Washed the sand but don't think I washed it well enough. The LFS advised to not wash it at all. It is proper aquarium silver sand.

Anyway, all the water is in and it was clearing a little yesterday, but then noticed some marks from where I had wiped the aquarium out with a damp paper towel and then dried it before adding the water. So I got my scraper and rubbed the marks off, although this has made the water all cloudy again. I have read that this cloudiness is the fine particles and they need to leave the environment anyway, the larger particles will sink. My filter is on.

I was wondering whether I should clean my filter out? What's the best way to do this? (CF1000 external canister) Then repeat until water clears? I've got some plants which should be delivered tomorrow - is it OK to go ahead and put them in whilst the water is still cloudy? I'm going to start my fishless cycling today once I get some ammonia. Oh and how much ammonia do I need to add to a 190L tank?

Thanks :)
 
*bump*

Really need to know how much ammonia to add for 190L ... Plllleasse :D
 
Hi, advice here is freely given so don't be so impatient :P *gets off soap box*

First off if you look at the top of the page you'll see Aquarium Calculator. Clik that then scroll down.....ok?

ALL substrate needs to be washed well despite what the LFS said.

It may take many days or even weeks sometimes to clear completely and as you are going to be cycling then this is no problem. You can add plants at this stage with no problems.

I don't use external filters but I'm guessing there is no need to clean it yet unless your water was REALLY bad then you could clean the mechanical filter media (1st stage)

Ok, so will that help you?........can I go have my tea now? ;)
 
:blush: Sorry, just impatient to get things right :blush:

I haven't been able to track down any ammonia (tried 4 different stores) so it seems I may have to do a fish-in cycle... Would that be completely awful? Also if I did that would it be OK to put my Columbians or Phantoms in whilst the bacteria/water is cycling or should I get a couple of goldfish to do the job (they can then go in my boyfriend's dad's pond - his suggestion - don't know how goldfish would like the temperature).

Oh and water seems clearer today! :)
 
:blush: Sorry, just impatient to get things right :blush:

I haven't been able to track down any ammonia (tried 4 different stores) so it seems I may have to do a fish-in cycle... Would that be completely awful? Also if I did that would it be OK to put my Columbians or Phantoms in whilst the bacteria/water is cycling or should I get a couple of goldfish to do the job (they can then go in my boyfriend's dad's pond - his suggestion - don't know how goldfish would like the temperature).

Oh and water seems clearer today! :)

Hi again.....I see that you are in the UK so just go into the household department of your local Homebase and you will find pure ammonia at £1.99 for enough to cycle a swimming pool!

Fishless cycle is the way forward my friend.....really? (no fish will suffer that way......get an API Freshwater Master Testing Kit too from LFS :good: )
 
I went into Homebase today and asked if they had ammonia. After looking at me weirdly, she said no and doubled checked with two other people who also said no. I'll have another look tomorrow just to be sure in case they don't know what they're stocking :rolleyes:

Ideally I'd like to do the fishless as apart from it being a kinder method it would also save me a lot of water changes.

With regards to 'mature media'. If I changed one of the foams in my Elite Stingray filter which is in my 60L mature tank and put the 'mature' foam in with my new external filter in my new tank, would it help the cycling process? Then replace the 'mature' one with a new one in the Stingray.

Oh and I have a liquid test kit already :D
 
Yay -I got some ammonia today - from Homebase! Stupid people on customer service not knowing they stocked it!
 
taking some mature media from the stingray will help a little but dont take so much that it crashes your smaller tank !! going back to your v first post on this thread, regarding cleaning the filter, if you open the cnister filter up you will have a woolen like pad right at the top, this is the fine particle filster and depending on ho much sand you had floating in the water may be a little clogged up, it wnt hurt to give this a little wast out in some TANK WATER NOT TAPWATER, just take some water from the tank into a bolw "slosh the wollen filter pad around in the bowl a little to dislodge any sand cought up in it then replace the pad back into filter (remember to turn the filter off hen you do all of this.)

Scott
 
taking some mature media from the stingray will help a little but dont take so much that it crashes your smaller tank !! going back to your v first post on this thread, regarding cleaning the filter, if you open the cnister filter up you will have a woolen like pad right at the top, this is the fine particle filster and depending on ho much sand you had floating in the water may be a little clogged up, it wnt hurt to give this a little wast out in some TANK WATER NOT TAPWATER, just take some water from the tank into a bolw "slosh the wollen filter pad around in the bowl a little to dislodge any sand cought up in it then replace the pad back into filter (remember to turn the filter off hen you do all of this.)

Scott
 
Thanks - regarding turning the external filter off - do I turn the taps off and then at the mains before opening it up? Also when I put plants and ornaments in the tank is it OK to keep the filter running or should I turn the taps off and mains or just taps?

Also, did the ammonia calculator and it says I need 10ml for a 190L tank - is that 1 and a half teaspoons?
 
Thanks - regarding turning the external filter off - do I turn the taps off and then at the mains before opening it up? Also when I put plants and ornaments in the tank is it OK to keep the filter running or should I turn the taps off and mains or just taps?

Also, did the ammonia calculator and it says I need 10ml for a 190L tank - is that 1 and a half teaspoons?


yeah if you turn the taps off first and then unplug the filter other wise your going to burn out the motor and or cause a big big mess of water.

the filter can stay on when the plants and orniments are going in, only need to turn the filter off when opening it up.

i think 10ml is about 1 & 1/2 T-spoon

Scott
 
Couple of things........

Most shops, even if they do sell ammonia, will tell you they don't if you ask. This is because ammonia is pretty corrosive and dangerous stuff. It is also used in making bombs and crack cocaine as well as fishless cycling, so most places like to keep it pretty low key.

Also, 1 tsp is usually 5ml, so 10ml is usually 2tsps. You would be better getting a little syringe to measure it with. Much more accurate. You will be able to pick one up from your local pharmacy.

Ammonia, syringes, us fishkeeping lot have a lot to answer for............... :lol:

BTT
 
Thanks Scott and BTT :D

I will add 2 teaspoons of ammonia to my tank now.

Got some rocks today so will give them a wash then pop them in.

How long should I wait before I test the water?
 
I would test the water straight away to make sure you have the correct ammonia levels. You are aiming for around 4 - 5ppm.

Once you have established you have the correct level, it is probably safe to leave the next test for a few days, as it will usually be a slow process to begin with.

You should have a read at our Fishless Cycling Guide if you haven't already. There is a link in my signature below.

Good luck! :good:

BTT
 

Most reactions

Back
Top