Cloudy Water

kribensis12

I know where you live
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
8,679
Reaction score
593
Points
113
Location
Peoria, Illinois
Hey Guy's! I have a question for you! I noticed today that my 10g tank is VERY CLOUDY. I did a water change yesterday, but im not sure if that is the problem. Why would my tank get soo cloudy?
 
new setup? any pics? ull get more answers in the am as it seems (due to me living in canada) that im one of the few on at nights, and im no expert, but ill try my best

Murph
 
Nope. The tank has been up for months. I dont have any pic's avalible at the moment! It's only 10:21 pm here, so it isnt that late! I was just wondering. Wait, could it be to much Bacteria???? I dont know why that would happen, but you never know. It is just worrying.
 
its 1227 here, but this site is mostly europeans (not all but a lot) and there all asleep. as for your problem, its well... wierd. :P hopefully either somebody else can help u out tonight, but worst case in the am theres gunna be somebody too.
 
green cloudy water is caused by free floating algae
milky cloudy is caused by bacterial bloom which usually occurs when there is a disturbance to the filter, ie cleaning the filter out under tap water. Excess food in the tank will also cause it. Don't feed the fish on the same day you do a water change.
Don't wash the filters out under tap water and if possible don't clean the filter on the same day you do a water change. Do it a few days later.
Try increasing aeration and cut back on feeding for the next week. Maybe do another water change today and tomorrow but make sure any new water going into the tank is free of chlorine and has a similar temperature & PH to the tank.
 
Im American!

^ Colin T, thanks for the reply! I did a rather big ater change. Over 50 percent. I dont over feed. I feed alot, but that is becasue my tank has lots of fry and guppies in it( it's over stocked, but not for long). I didnt clean otu the Sponge Filter. It's Milky looking water. No Algea Bloom.
 
just do a few more water changes and make sure all the food is being eaten. Offer the fish a small amount at a time and don't offer any more until they have eaten the first lot of food. It will clear up eventually.
 
I think the time one of my tanks went through a mini-cycle I had previously been a little too thorough cleaning the gravel and filters. Rather than my typical cleaning of half the gravel, I did all of it. As well, I think I squeezed the filters in the old tank water too vigorously. :flex:

The cloudy water didn't develop until a few days (?) after the water change. At first I didn't put two & two together and blamed it on my water conditioner :devil: rather than human error. :blush:

At least this got me to try Seachem Prime for the first time. Mmmmm ... smelly eggs. :sick:
 
I think gazoo may be on to the right answer. I have been reading recently, on another site, that many troubles could be traced to actually doing a thorough gravel vac on anything but a tank that is running a UGF. I'm not sure I agree with their conclusions but it had some good arguments to it. The concept was that the sand or gravel gets a somewhat layered effect going where the beneficial bacteria in the substrate were concentrated in the top layer of gravel where there was more oxygen present and that when thoroughly vacuumed, the layer was no longer a layer but was mixed into the gravel. Like I said, it has just enough common sense to it to be believeable but I'm not sure I buy it. The idea of only doing part of the tank each time would ceratinly avoid the issue though.
 
I used to do complete gravel cleans on my tanks every week. And I think that is why I never had any problems with the filters having mini cycles. Because they were done every week they were always clean and the filter bacteria lived on the gravel surface. Therefore when it was cleaned most of the bacteria stayed put and only the gunk in the gravel was removed.
Tanks that aren't gravel cleaned regularly would have a lot of bacteria living on the sediment/ gunk and when that is removed the bacteria is also removed messing up the filtration.
Having said all that I usually recommend people gravel clean 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank each time they do a water change. Then they don't have to take out too much water and the gravel stays relatively clean but without disturbing the filter bacteria too much.
 
It has cleared almost all the way. It isnt a mini cycle as i tested my water and this is what i got :
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:( my test kit dosent do Nitrate)
Ph:8.4
Gh: unreadable
Kh: Unreadable

My fish are as active as ever, none dead/missing. I dont know what it was but it was sure worrying the heck outta me!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top