Cloudy Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cooky_luvs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I didn't know where else to post this. My 10 gallon tank is cloudy, but my water stats are fine. They are

Nitrate - 10 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
PH - 7

So any ideas on what could be clouding the water? I have drift wood in there, but I doubt that would make it "milky".

Is it newly set up? It seems cycled, by those stats (though you did not mention ammonia), and when did you add the wood?

Is it newly set up? It seems cycled, by those stats (though you did not mention ammonia), and when did you add the wood?

I don't have test strips for ammonia :/ :/ Unfortunately mine don't have that, i have to buy seperate strips. I have cleaned it vigorously since becoming cloudy however. Also nope it's not newly set up, probably about 7 months old. The wood was added about 1 month ago.

My tank was quite foggy a few weeks ago. I took did a 20% water change every day. In about a week, my water was crystal clear.

My tank was cloudy (milky) even though it was completely cycled. Turns out it was that I was overfeeding. I stopped overfeeding and the water went clear.

My tank was cloudy (milky) even though it was completely cycled. Turns out it was that I was overfeeding. I stopped overfeeding and the water went clear.

Could Algae wafers cloud the water? I know they advertise that they don't but that's the only food that ever *sits* in the tank. My clown plecs can be slow to find them. Also I went out and bought an amonia test kit, but all levels read fine, but still cloudy water :( Should I buy something that clears the water? (think it's called clarify)

In the past agae wafers have never clouded my water but you might want to check that the filter is working properly as if my tank every gets cloudy that is the first place I look and more often than not that it the cause.

my 4ft was cloudy for 2 weeks i put filter aid in cause all my sat were spot on anyhow nothing happen went to my lfs went through everything with them they said could be filter i said no cause i clean and replace media 1 month ago but when i checked the fillter the what should be white bit was a nasty brown replaced and now a cystle clear so check yourfilter first before buying any magic stuff to clear it.....psycho

sorry if its a little hard to read my stuff but i am dsylextic

I'm betting it's the filter then, it has been acting up, but I didn't think that could be the cause. (I thought that if the filter was the cause then it would mess up the water stats.) Well I'll probably just buy a new filter. The one I currently have is a Whisper Filter, which I have had lots of trouble with in the past, all my other tanks have bio-wheels for that reason. I'll try replacing the filter, but using the bio-wheel part from another established tank so I won't have to risk a big cycle or anything. Thanks for the info everyone!

Uggg it's 'still' cloudy! :( This is irritating. All my little fish are in my 10 gallon and I have to peer to see them through the cloudy water. (the waters not 'that' bad i just need glasses..lol). Well I did my plan from my last post. My friend hooked me up w/ a 70 gallon filter, i use it on my 55 and moved the 20 gallon bio-wheel filter to the 10 gallon tank. (55 tank now has 120 gallons of filtration :) ) Well after doing that a week ago and doing 1 water change, nothing has changed. Just as cloudy as ever, and stats still read perfect. Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm hoping for a crystal clear tank again!

thats very odd?!?!?! ................ mm ill get back 2 u after a bit of googling! :D

from wat iv been reading on google.. its either bacterial bloom.. were theres to much bacteria in ur tank, the bacteria is not balanced with the amount of watse (POO) in ur tank.. how many fish do u have.. it might be due to overstocking? wich meens alot mor waste and there 4 to much 4 the bacteria to handle! -_- do u have messy fish like plecs?

Wouldn't bacteria bloom be causing higher nitrites nitates or amonia though? That's what's been sure confusing me :( It may be over stocked, I moved my 3 emperor tetras out of my 20 gallon into my 10 since the killifish were harrassing them. Maybe i'll try buying another 10 and split everyone up. My 10 is 'supposed' to be only for my croaking and spike tail gouramis, my orange bush fish and 3 clown plecs. I would like to figure out what's going on though, my 20 did this once before, but when that was cloudy the stats went bad (from bacterial bloom). So I kept cleaning and it got clear again, then I replaced the filter. In this case, no stat change.

sounds like uv overstocked :X and because uv got 2 many fish there producing to much waste! how many fish have u exacty got in that tank with the cloudy water?

sounds like uv overstocked :X and because uv got 2 many fish there producing to much waste! how many fish have u exacty got in that tank with the cloudy water?
uv got 3 plecs as well! there very messy fish, mayb the cause of ur problem! :eek:

Wouldn't that mess up the stats though? That's my main question that's got me messed up..lol Also the filter that was put on is for 20 gallons, so it should be solving the problem at least temporaily.

Here's the stock list.

3 spike tail gouramis,
3 croaking gouramis
1 bush fish,
3 clown plecs.
2 hillstream loaches,
3 emperor tetras

I think the emperor tetras being introduced is what did it. I will buy a 2nd 10 gallon and move them and the hill stream loaches. The other fish are pushing it as is so that's probably all the tank can handle.

i think uv hit the nail on the head lol :lol: :fun: :lol: + those plecs didnt help, wev got 1 plec in our downstairs tank and he messes the tank up all the tme! lol :D there gr8 fish tho! hope it all clears out 4 u lol and u get a crystal clear tank! let us know if it goes clear! :rolleyes:

i think uv hit the nail on the head lol :lol: :fun: :lol: + those plecs didnt help, wev got 1 plec in our downstairs tank and he messes the tank up all the tme! lol :D there gr8 fish tho! hope it all clears out 4 u lol and u get a crystal clear tank! let us know if it goes clear! :rolleyes:
i luv ur bettas!! there beautiful...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back