Cloudy Water In Ym New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fixxie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Im wondering if you can help. Ive been keeping fish in a small 30 litre tank for the last few years and have just bought a 70litre Jewel tank.
Ive had varous fish over the years, mostly cold water and temperate. Ive set the new tank up, added the water and some Safe Start and moved my fish over the next day. 3 x Danios, 2 x tetras and 2 x corydoras. For 2 days they all seemed happy but this morning i found the tanl very cloudy and the Tetras and Danios gasping for air at the top. I changed 25% of the water but the Tetras and one Danio died shortly after.

Ive done another 50% water change but it looks like its getting cloudy again. Ive read somewhere that the tank can sort itself out, is it better to keep doing partial water changes, should i go and buy some chemicals to help or leave it to sort itself out?

From reading posts on here about cycling ive figured out that my mistake was not to do a fishless cycle - ive never done one before with my smaller tank so it didnt occur to me to do one this time.

Any advice much appreciated! I hate seeing the tank cloudy and the fish in distress and dying.

Did you switch your filter media over?

No i didnt take it over - the filter was much smaller

You can cut the filter media and put it in the new one. By not transferring over the media you have completely started over the cycle. 
Do you have a liquid test kit so you can see what your water parameters are? You want to know them so you can know when to do the water changes

Unfortunately it was a totally different filter and the media wasn't transferable. I don't have a kit no, I need to get one! This is all very new to me!

Definitely pick one up
smile.png
I use API. Can't say if you need to be doing water changes or not, as it depends on your readings.
If your fish are acting oddly then would definitely do a large water change though.

It sounds like your fish are either suffering from Ammonia or Nitrite poisoning. Whenever you see this behavior, do a largish water change (60% +).

What type are the Tetras?
Are the Danios Celestial or Zebra?
What type are the Corys?
All of those fish, no matter their type, are schooling fish, being much happier in schools of at least 6.
You might need to rehome or upgrade your tank.

If you can, pick up a liquid test kit, preferably one that tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (pH is also helpful).

Is that Tetra Safe Start that you are using? If you are, make sure to follow the instructions to the letter, it is one of the more helpful beneficial bacteria in a bottle. It will help greatly in your tank becoming cycled faster with minimal death/long term side effects.

Have a good read through HERE, it has lots of helpful links that will help you and your fish through the cycle :)

Most reactions

trending

Back