Cloudy Water From Sand

I thought I'd be clever today & make a 'feeding station' for my froggies thinking stupidly that the fish wouldn't want to go in it - but hey - they thought it was Christmas all over again - woohoo something to play in :grr: :-
SDC14508.jpg

I thought I'd be clever today & make a 'feeding station' for my froggies thinking stupidly that the fish wouldn't want to go in it - but hey - they thought it was Christmas all over again - woohoo something to play in :grr: :-
SDC14508.jpg

that is soooo funny!!! smart little platties!!!

platties are pretty good tankmates - very gentle, curious but will not peck at the frogs. a turkey baster in the same corner might be best for you, sprinkle a little bit in the water for the frogs to know its dinner time, then feeding them by luring them to the same spot will let them know where to go for food

I do love Platties - like you say they're so gentle & fun to watch. The Phantom Tetras are the same - altho they bicker amongst themselves they too are gentle with others which is what I like, a nice peaceful tank :drool: .

The little frogs are ok, they seem to return to the left hand corner of the tank at night. I tried dropping some frog bites down but the fish got there too soon - they'll soon be so fat with the extra food they're snaffling lol. I hope the frogs are getting some of it at least. I'm going to persevere with the turkey baster - that seems the best option & like you suggest sprinkle some on the surface first then quickly down with the baster for the frogs.

Go to your local diy shop get a cross stitching board, then pop into tescos and get some cheap tights. Cut the cross stitching board to a size that it can support itself in the tank then sew the tights on. Put it in slip it out no worries you could also use it as a strainer for your old tank water so that in the future when you clean your filter you can do it in particle free old tank water.

Thanks for that. Looking at them last night tho I don't think I'm going to bother - they seem to have found their little safe places where they can eat. They're getting little fat tummies too I've noticed. It was funny when one of the frogs lunged at a Platy which was sniffing out one of his pellets, they don't seem nervous at all of the fish.

PS - just curious that's all as I'm new to this hobby, how often do you 'swish' your filter / clean your impellor saltynay??

I currently don't have a tank running so never. In my old tanks I would wash out the filter sponges once a week and clean the impeller once a month. I had 3 filters and 1 pump running and my water was actually finely balanced through pumps between my tanks (3 in total) so a difference in flow could result in flooding. I have a photo from when I just setup the second one here (click to enlarge):

I currently don't have a tank running so never. In my old tanks I would wash out the filter sponges once a week and clean the impeller once a month. I had 3 filters and 1 pump running and my water was actually finely balanced through pumps between my tanks (3 in total) so a difference in flow could result in flooding. I have a photo from when I just setup the second one here (click to enlarge):

Blimey, that looks really complicated - thanks anyway saltynay :)

Well my little froggies have found a home in a moss ball that's become a little unravelled from a ball if you know what I mean. They can get underneath it, and through it & the fish can't get at their frog bites so easily. There's a Wilko's artificial soft wispy aquarium plant next to it so I think they feel really safe there, and its against the glass so I can see them easily. I just turkey baste their food down past that & hey presto. So far so good. It's so funny isn't it when they shoot up to the surface then come down even faster. I'm glad they land in their mossball to break their fall - ouch. They are so funny - I want to get another 10 !!!

Most reactions

Back