The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

v81tun

Reaction score
Hello,

as you will see, I am new to this site!

I have a quick question.

Can somebody please pitch me a few things that could cause white stringy poop?

I know you're going to want my parameters, but I have already been through all of that on another site which I didnt find helpful.

I was told it could be an internal bacterial infection.
I got hold of some metronidazole, and have been treating two guppies in a qt tank, it doesn't seem to be helping.
In the meantime more fish have started having white poop.

I would like to "worm" my tank, I am worried to use medications as I have three pictus catfish.

I live in Melbourne, Australia. Could you reccomend a worming tablet? The fish have no external signs, some are eating, some are not. Some arent eating much.

Just a couple of white poop suggestions please

:hi:

Signs of internal parasites are

Long stringy white poo, red poo. clear mucas poo.
Worms sticking out the anus. Red hair like worms.
Red inflamed anus, enlarged anus.
Sunken in belly.
Fish will look very skinny.
Fish will sometimes swim on it's side.
Spitting food out.
Bent spine.
Secondary bacterial infections.

Get you some information on camallanus worms.
Levaimsole is a good treatment for camallanus worms.

Camallanus

Symptoms:

When the fish is stationary, deep red worms can be seen protruding from the anal pore. They are only visible when the fish is still because the worms retreat into the intestine at the fish�s slightest movement. Other signs may include an inflamed and enlarged anus. In severe infestations, the fish may become emaciated and spinal curvature may also occur.

Cause:

The parasitic worms Camallanus Cotti and Camallanus lacustris. These small, livebearing parasitic worms attach to the intestinal walls and rectum with pinchers. The worm�s grip is so tight that any attempts to remove it forcibly will rip away tissue from the intestinal wall. The worm�s pinching causes ischemia (reduced blood flow) to that part of the intestine. In time, the tissue to that part of the intestine will die, at which time the worm will migrate to another part of the intestine. This causes perforations throughout the intestine, which allows other pathogens to gain entry. If the fish is not treated, either the parasite or bacterial will kill the fish. Camallanus infestations occur most often in livebearing fish such as Guppies and Mollies, though infection is possible in all fish. Camallanus infestations are contagious. All fish, including those not yet showing visible symptoms, as well as the aquarium, should be treated.

Treatment:

Treat with Internal Parasite Guard, Pipzine, Disco-Worm, Trichlorfon or Fluke-Tabs as well as a medicated food to prevent a bacterial infection.

fish-diseases.net

What colour is the food you feed them? It could make it white. My fish have poop white when they eat bloodworms and pink poop when they eat there food (there food is pink) Hope this helped!

I find that since I have anacharis, sometimes they eat it and makes their poop clear.

If the fish have parasites, then the poop is white and stringy all the time, not when they eat something specific. Sometimes it can be white and thin like a silk thread(I remember this from the hexamita I treated)

I have no idea what medication is available in Australia, but I came across this article recently suggesting a general de-wormer that is supposed to be not only safe, but actually improves the fishes immune system.

http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

Thank you all for your responses.

Callamanus worms are meant to be visible aren't they, I read somewhere that in the early stages they won't be visible? Since I have seen no signs of them.

I feed some tetra one food, it's red.
That, brine shrimp and blood worms.

I will have to ask my Lfs (which isn't local at all, an hours drive to my trusted fish shop) for a wormer. Maybe I will give them a call, they

The poo seems empty, with white clumps in it occasionally.

I think I will just "worm" them and post an update. I don't know what else to do since it's such a large amount of possibilities.

Callamanus worms are meant to be visible aren't they, I read somewhere that in the early stages they won't be visible?

It can take up to 3 months for camallanus worms to actually start coming out of the fish's back ends.
And yes, "empty" poop with clumps sounds like worms/parasites to me.

Keep in mind that after parasitic infection, fish can develop secondary bacterial infections.

So I found that I actually have fluke/tapeworm tablets and I have dosed both tanks that I think have the problem.

If this fails what would I try next?

Levamisole Hydrochloride? (this was suggested by snazy)

Are there any other all-round wormers or products to treat internal parasites that cover a broad range?

So I found that I actually have fluke/tapeworm tablets and I have dosed both tanks that I think have the problem.

If this fails what would I try next?

Levamisole Hydrochloride? (this was suggested by snazy)

Are there any other all-round wormers or products to treat internal parasites that cover a broad range?

Levamisole Hydrochloride treats anything bar flukes, tapeworms and flatworms so if the current treatment doesn't work, get something that treats the other type of nasties.

Fish should start to gain weight, and there waste should return to a normal brown colour if the medication has worked.
It best to retreat about 3 weeks later to make sure the internal parasite has been eradicated.

You can buy "tetra parasite guard" medi from pet shop in AU. It helps internal & external parasite. This table change water colour bit greenish but help your fishes if they have parasite. I think it was about $12 (here australia is way more expensive than usa.)
If you use this and if you don't want your ornament change colour to green, take them out & use.

Hi again,

so I am going to do a 25% water change tonight and clean the fiter media, as that is what the medication (flukes/tapeworm tabs) said to do,

when will it be safe to begin treating with something else in case this hasn't worked?
The greater majority of my fish are becoming infected..

I have some time on my hands to go into a bit more detail. Two nights ago I did water tests and stuff, before the treatment. here are the results.

Ph 7.9
Gh 4dkh (71.6)
Kh 8dkh (143.2)
Nitrate 0-5.0 mg/l
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

Temperature is always 26

The filter is a hopar kf-2218
1200 l/h

36 gallon tank
it is overstocked, but I cant get rid of any fish until they are all healthy again.
2 angelfish (round part of body is approx 5cm
1 gold spot pleco, which is about 12cm
2 peppermint bristlenose 8-10cm
2 plain bristlenose 8-10cm
3 pictus catfish they are between 8&10cm
1 Jack dempsey 9-10cm(IN A HOLDING NET)
1 blue ram (about 4cm)
1 electric yellow which is about 4cm
(I had another one but it died, just as all this trouble started.
it became lethargic, breathing heavily sitting on the bottom of the tank, and occasionally coughing... well it looked like it was coughing. i did not notice it stop eating or doing clear poop. I put it into one of those small guppy breeder tanks that float and allow water fow, with an airstone, he lasted one or two days after he initialy started looking lethargic.
shortly after this, my blue ram started doing clear poop and not eating. I had two guppies sto peating and got very thin and died. I took all the guppies out of the tank, there were about 20 young ones, two are still skinny but I have been treating them with metronidazole and had no improvements, so I have wormed that tank too, which is a 15gal)

so I am lost as to what to do. what path to take.

I am concerned I am going to lose all of my fish. I really just want to get them healthy and send them to new homes.

This morning I noticed one of my angelfish was doing a poo, it was clear/red- what on earth is this?
I think it might be constipated, since it is really fat, especially compared to the other one(it has pretty much always been this way) (tried feeding it peas, just spits them out - is very keen on anything else though)

what can i do? I am completely lost.

i don't know where to turn, my lfs keeps telling me it is an internal bacterial infection, but metronidazole did nothing to help the guppies in the 15 gal.
do I try the metro in my main tank?

Can you buy any antibiotic medicated food in your country.

Have you been feeding any red foods.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back