Cleaning substrate

HoldenOn

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey all,
just found out cleaning my gravel with a siphon thats meant for 5 gallon betta tanks is not the way to go! Where can I get a good safe gravel vac? How much do they cost (I can sell a few organs if need be), and how often should I vac sand?

I just use a tube. (As in the tube from a siphon - I manually start the siphon by sucking the tube like a straw. It’s hard to do, but you’ll get the hang of it)

You could also get a slightly bigger gravel vacuum, remove the big end, and keep the primer. (The primer is the small ball/object on the opposite end of the tube, that you squeeze to start the siphon)

That depends... what stock do you have in the tank with the sand?

I just use a tube. (As in the tube from a siphon - I manually start the siphon by sucking the tube like a straw. It’s hard to do, but you’ll get the hang of it)

You could also get a slightly bigger gravel vacuum, remove the big end, and keep the primer. (The primer is the small ball/object on the opposite end of the tube, that you squeeze to start the siphon)

That depends... what stock do you have in the tank with the sand?
I have a few corydoras but final stock will include a shoal of cories and a bolivian ram or two.

You really shouldn’t need to touch your sand for a month or so. @Byron said he never touched his sand, because Cory’s were his main stock.

I mean, sure, if there is a huge patch go ahead and clean that up. The only reason why I clean my sand every week, is because I have an Albino BNP, and he poops a lot. :blink:

You really shouldn’t need to touch your sand for a month or so. @Byron said he never touched his sand, because Cory’s were his main stock.

I mean, sure, if there is a huge patch go ahead and clean that up. The only reason why I clean my sand every week, is because I have an Albino BNP, and he poops a lot. :blink:
Sounds good. Stayed away from plecos for that one singular reason lol. I'll monitor and then deal with it if it gets crazy!

Don’t get me wrong, I love the little guy, he is just a poop machine. :S:oh:

I should make a Youtube video on Tutorial on how to syphon substrate.

Yeh I never clean my sand. Just remove 60% water and refill. Cories seem to do a good job of breaking down any waste and turning over the top layer

Most reactions

Back