Cleaning Gravel Help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tune29

Reaction score
I have had my tank running for about 6 weeks now and done water changes weekly.
I am new to this and would like some advice please. I have not cleaned my gravel as i was told
the filter will sort out the fish waste. However i am unsure if i am to clean up the mess within the gravel.

If i am has anyone got a guide how i am to do this. I have a 60 litre tank with gravel.

I think 1 of my corries is getting ill from the waste

6 neons
2 honey gourami
2 platies
2 pepered corrie

Thanks

hi
smile.png
i do a gravel clean once a week
smile.png
.... using one of these
smile.png
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=gravel+cleaner&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-gbGB493GB493&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bpcl=38897761&biw=1366&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10763997026945528082&sa=X&ei=xqSvUPDGKuil0QWp2oHoAQ&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAA im not sure who told u not too but im certain you have been given the wrong info .. fish waste /food can get in deep in the gravel so a good clean would be better for a fish
smile.png
just too say ur better off getting a large one ..soz the link i showed u is for a small one
smile.png
ebay has some good prices
smile.png

I would not be surprised. If the gravel in rough in anyway their barbels will wear away. Dirty gravel will cause cory's barbels to become infected. The Corydora catfish should be in shoals of 6+ comprised of their specific species.

If i take this gravel out and by a more suitable substrate what would that be?
If i do a change will ths affect my good bacteria built up?

If i take this gravel out and by a more suitable substrate what would that be?
If i do a change will ths affect my good bacteria built up?

i have just changed my gravel over from a biggish gravel to a finer gravel.. and it shouldnt do ur bacteria any harm ..bacteria is in ur filter media
smile.png
.. if u see my pic in my siggy u can see where i have changed , the newer gravel is green and the old gravel in the middle of the tank which i have replaced
smile.png
do you test ur water regular to make sure ya fish are in healthy water .?? cos it could be the water thats making ur cory a lil off not saying it is , but u didnt write down ya water stats so we could see.
smile.png

Cory's love sand, though it should be washed out thoroughly before being added.
The amount of bacteria in the substrate is minimal, it should be in the filter.

i have an aqua flow 100 that i clean in the water i am changing before i throw it away.
I have not changed my filter yet as i am told the bacteria is in the filter but am also told
to cange monthly. Very confused!!!!

If you have multiple filter sponges you can alternate, changing one at a time, not that i would. Never change things like ceramic balls, they don't need it.
Cory's love sand as they can search through it, they are specially adapted to filter it through their mouth, trapping any bits of food they find.

ur filter doesnt really need changing that frequent , do as ur doing , give them a quick rince in the water ur removing from tank fortnightly. i remove one filter media one week , the other the following , this helps keeping the flow going nicely on ur filter .. and do a gravel clean weekly /to help remove any fish waste /food thats ;lurking on and under the gravel .. this will help ur fish stay healthy As tuxyu2 says Corys love sand /finer gravel this will prevent damage to barbels :)

not sure if i am supposed to change the filter cartride or not now sorry

http://www.ketteringkoi.com/acatalog/Aqua-Flow-100-Aquarium-Filter-121710.html is this ur filter , if yesh then u just need to give the sponge a Quick rince every other week , not too vigerous that u remove the bacteria but ,enough too take some slime off .... my filters have 2 medias in each ..which as i said in my post i give them a quick rince one every other week :)

Only ever rinse the sponges in tank water.

Edit: Outside of the tank of course.
Edit Edit: What i mean to say is do a water change and use the water taken out to rinse the sponges, not tap water.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/ this is a page with lots of good info on here , go give it a good read :)

Most reactions

Back