Cleaning Algea Off White Ocean Rock...

kj23502

lazy dayz
Joined
Jan 20, 2008
Messages
4,279
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
South Dakota, USA
Would that work? I'm thinking of doing white ocean rock for my next Malawi Mbuna set up, but I know it'll get covered in green algea. I was thinking of doing a bleach soak as needed, but am afraid of the bleach saturating the rock deep inside and not being able to rinse it off.

What's your opinion?

I already have the rock so it won't cost me anything.
 
Would that work? I'm thinking of doing white ocean rock for my next Malawi Mbuna set up, but I know it'll get covered in green algea. I was thinking of doing a bleach soak as needed, but am afraid of the bleach saturating the rock deep inside and not being able to rinse it off.

What's your opinion?

I already have the rock so it won't cost me anything.


looks better with it on do u no think?

good for fish to graze on
 
i have a tropical tank with 50kg of ocean rock in. it initially got covered in algae but then i discovered ottos. they keep it spotless now .
 
I plan to get bristlenose plecs but I think they'd get to large to do a good job in all the nooks and cranies.
 
Leaving algae on the rocks will also distract the fish from squabbling. Gives them something else to do.
 
I just prefer the white look. Looks cleaner and darker fish show up better.

I very much agree with you, although my cichlids like a bit of algae to graze on and it does help with reducing aggression/keeping them busy it does look unsightly on the ocean rock and on tuffa rock.

What i do though, instead of letting it build up... i bought a cheap toothbrush and when it gets growing simply brush it off the rock, still in the tank and it works a treat.

It'll never be as white as it was when you first got it, but no one can defy nature.

I do leave algae on my slate etc though
 
Yea... i know all about them eating the algea thing...be researching mbuna since last winter. i have slate in my current setup and let it grow on that, but don't particularly want it on my white rocks....maybe I won't use them.

I used to let the algea grow on the back wall and got fed up w/it's appearance. Only 1 species of mine reg. picked at it anyway...my fish are carnivores :)

thanks for the help and opinions :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top