Cleaning A Fluval 305 Or Similar

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Joined
Dec 3, 2007
Messages
792
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
London
Hi,

Last time i opened my Fluval 305 water shot out and i ended up with 5 gallons of water over my living room carpet... I was just wondering whether there is something you have to do before opening it besides switching it off. I need to clean the filter media but am scared to incase the same thing happens again!

Thanks :good:
 
There should be a release valve on the top of the filter that shuts off the two hoses and allows you to disconnect them. Once these are disconnected you can take the main part of the filter to a sink and open it up to clean it out.

It sounds like you didn't shut off the hoses before you opened it last time, so water started to syphon out of your tank.

Aquarium-Filtration-External-and-Hang-on-Hagen-Fluval-External.jpg


See on this picture where the hoses connect from the top? Notice that lever inbetween them? This is the flow control and hose cut off. Pull that upwards through 90 degrees (gently) so it closes off the hoses. There is then a release mechanism underneath that lever to take the hoses out. When putting them back on, just do the reverse.

Oh, also when you clean the filter media, clean it in water taken from your tank. I tend to put the sponges into the water and scrunch them about to get debris out of them. Likewise for the biological media (ceramic hoop things probably). Give them a swill about in the water to get any bits off them.

**Don't rinse biological media under the tap** (You can rinse the sponges if needed). The chlorine in the tap water will kill of the bacteria and you'll have to cycle your tank again and this will cause problems.

Also, when doing this, try to keep the biological media in tank water all the time.

Appologies if you know all this but best to cover all the bases :)
 
Lol yep I know how to clean the media but thanks for the advice anyway!

I think maybe I did just take the lid off without shutting off the hoses.

Thank you.,.. hopefully this time it won't explode! :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top