Clean up crew

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Not really sure where to post so sorry if not the right place.
I'm looking for something that is going to help with algea in my tank.
I have a 110l community tank with rocks and live plants. Not really sure what else you would need to know really?
I have algea growing on rocks and have tried using different chemicals to get rid of it but it doesn't help.
I have never had snails or anything like that so I'm really clueless when it comes to it, just need advise on low maintenance cut that would help in my tank.

How much algae. A little is fine. Is the algae a problem or you just don't like it. There are lots of types of algae some fish and snails will get rid of some of it depending on the type. Photos please

I've attached a picture, I honestly wouldn't even know what its called, everytime I try to look online I just get different answers.

Attachments

• 20210122_234854.jpg
    20210122_234854.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 43
The bottom right is something that has detached from some moss so nothing to do with the algea

Looks like bearded algae to me. I will let the other members tell what fish they recommend as I have little experience with this.

Thanks so much, I appreciate that very much. If possible, its not really more fish I was looking to get. More like snails etc, if that would help. Thanks again

Black beard algae and green tufted algae. I like it :)

You can try adding some shrimp, some will pick at the algae but as a general rule, most things ignore the black beard algae.

If you want to try snails, get mystery/ apple snails because they don't breed prolifically and over run the tank.

You can take the rock/ ornament with the algae out of the tank and stick it in a bucket of bleach for an hour. Then rinse it off really well with tap water and that will kill the algae.

Yeah, the first plan was to just take it out and bleach it. For some reason I've decided it would be nice to add something that might help lol. Do you think that bleaching is the best idea?
Colin, can I ask why you like it so much lol, its the thorn in my side at the minute lol.

Bleach is fine in the past I have had hire tanks that the client wanted no algae so I had two sets of rocks that I would swap over one set would be in the tank the other I would bleach, and then have them ready to go back in. It works really well with plastic plants as well

So apart from bleach, is there no options for cleaning it. Im really liking the idea of some snails etc. Obviously if this won't help at all them the only option is bleach

So apart from bleach, is there no options for cleaning it. Im really liking the idea of some snails etc. Obviously if this won't help at all them the only option is bleach
When I say options, I mean the living kind, snails, shrimps etc

When I say options, I mean the living kind, snails, shrimps etc
I don't think there are any fish or shrimp that would completely eradicate BBA, they might nibble on it but not enough to get rid of it. Hydrogen peroxide works well if you don't like the idea of bleach.

I think Siamese Algae Eaters will eat it, but that comes with other sorts of challenges sometimes. They can be boisterous in my experience.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back