Ciclids .... For A Friend (hard Breathing)

piranha_tim

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 2, 2008
Messages
412
Reaction score
0
Points
0
HI,

My friend bought some ciclids I was unable to test his water ...

His fish to me and compared to my piranha are hard breathing.

He says its normal ...

hardbreathing.

Gills have a motion extending 0.5 cms and body movement is apparent in assisting breathing.

Good breathing.

The gills are not so apparently moving and from a distance look still ... body movement for assistent in breathing is barely apparent.

----

He see's nothing wrong I just looking to be backed up so he will take some action.
 
Well, I have african cichlids...mbuna to be exact and mine aren't supposed to be hard breathing..ie. distressed breathing. There's something wrong in his tank, as I don't think there are many common fish out there that would naturally breathe like that all the time.

If the tank wasn't cycled he's going to kill them w/ammonia and nitrite (nitrite actually suffocates them btw).

If there's not alot of water movement(depending on what cichlids he has) africans need more oxygen in the water and the movement at the surface is what helps acheive that :good:

Does that help you?
Was the tank previously set up? or new? what kind of cichlids are we talking about? With soo little info it's hard to make the appropriate statement.
 
Truthfully ... I know the problem ... its not cycled properly and I told him that but there is disbeleif I am just proving my point to him I can find out more info as I am not sure what type they are I just wanted someone to agree or disagree with my statement.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top