Cichlids breeding in a 40 gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Aquarium guy person

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 40 breeder thatā€™s open now due to me upgrading my tank, what kind of cichlids could I breed in here? Iā€™m open to any suggestions but it would have to be a fish that is a cichlid and where I can keep the babies in the tank.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Standard 40 breeder, I donā€™t remember the gh and the kh Iā€™d have to check soon but I will be using RO water from my lfs, I will change parameters to match whatever fish I end up choosing

I am not in America and have no idea how big a 40 breeder is.

Any Apistogrammas.
Smaller species of Cichlasoma (meeki, spilurum, sajica, etc).
Angelfish.
Small and medium sized Geophagus cichlids.
A lot of different African Rift Lake cichlids.

What colour fish do you prefer?
Do you want fish that are 5-6 inches long or 2-4 inch fish?
Do you want mouth brooding cichlids or fish that lay eggs on rocks or in pits on the substrate?

For size, maybe 2-4 inch fish I donā€™t have any preference for the way it breeds nor the color Iā€™m just looking for a good cichlid that could very well breed in that tank. Those suggestions were actually very good. Have any more?

Small fish, you could get Apistogrammas, Pelvicachromis, Nannochromis, or small species of Geophagus or Microgeophagus (rams). These would all be fine in soft slightly acid water (GH below 150ppm and pH below 7.0).

You could have a pair or trio (1 male & 2 females) in the tank and they would have room to breed and look after the young. A single pr usually gives better results.

-----------
Fish like Cyprichromis, Paracyprichromis, Julidochromis, Lamprologus, Neolamprologus, Aulonocara are from the Rift Lakes in Africa and need hard water (350ppm+) with a high pH (7.6-8.6).

The Cyprichromis and Paracyprichromis are schooling fish they need to be kept in groups of at least 6 (preferably 10) or more.

Julidochromis can be kept in pairs or several pairs.

Some Lamprologus and Neolamprologus should only be kept in pairs but others can be kept in small groups of 6-10.

Aulonocaras grow to 4-5 inches and you could have a couple of males and some females. The males are quite nicely coloured.

If you are using RO I would go for South American dwarfs but pick one species. Dicrossus Maculatus are a really nice dwarf and can live well as a hareem, Apistogrammas are always really nice Panduro are my favorite because of the colourful females. Nannacara Adoketa is a rare jewel if you can find them too but are more of a pairing fish. Nanochromis Transvestitus is a west african cichlid but again stunning.

If you want to keep something in the tank with a generation of youngsters at the time I would go for a small species as this will give you the best chance of long term success.

It could also be an idea to include some sort of community with them - again with the smaller cichlids you will have better success. I am thiniking something like Marbled Hatchet Fish for the South Americans and maybe Clown Killies for the Nanochromis, both would stay in the upper third so wont compete for space with the cichlids but they will provide some activity in the tank for you to look at and also give the cichlids some confidence as without them they will think there is a predator or danger around and will likely hide more.

In some combinations some bottom dwellers could work in this tank but it would depend on what you went with as to if it would work. I think they can be a good idea in order to break up waste and get it into the water column so the filter can get it - otherwise it will mean much more rigorous maintenance.

Wills

Iā€™m thinking quite possibly julidochromis, what kind of stocking would I be able to have in there, where I can still breed them, but I wonā€™t be losing all my babies. What are other care requirements?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back