Choosing the fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wickedxyx

Reaction score
Hello.

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some suggestions on what type(s) of fish I might place in a tank.

I have a new ten gallon tank that I want to turn into my first tropical tank. It will have a few decorations (4 medium sized plants and a large hollow skull) and a six inch plecko in it (once it runs for a few more days).

Going by the 1" to 1 gallon rule, that leaves only three or four more fish to add to the tank so I was looking for some small schooling fish that won't grow very large, hopefull that won't grow over an inch or so in length. Something like a Neon.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other fish I might consider to add?

Thanks for the help.

A 10 gallon tank is way too small for a 6" plec,a fish that size should be in a minimum of a 20g tank. If it is a common plec it will need a tank of at least 55 gallons as soon as possible, they can grow to 24" plus. Plecs also produce a lot of waste and will quickly pollute a 10 gallon, you will need to be doing water changes every day !

For a 10g tank i would not suggest any fish over 3" as a long term inhabitant, fish like corydoras and small tetras would be good choices, IMO there is no plec suitable for tanks under 20g.

He there,
Sorry but he's rights. A 6'' Pleco will eat up all the smace in that tank. You would be better with 3 Pando Corys (these are the smallest) or another cory and a few guppies or tetra. Good luck with your new tank :)

Thanks folks.

I know the plecko's too big for the tank and he definitely will make a mess out of it, but I don't have the heart to get rid of yet. The tank's better than where he is now, so we'll see how it goes.

Anyone know a good site to find out about tetras? I'm leaning that way, I think.

Thanks.

Hi!

For a 10 gal tank I'd advise a minimalist approach - it will look a lot better, be easier to maintain and be better for your fish.

Certainly find a new home for that pleco - if you'd seen the monsters I've seen at Bristol Zoo, you wouldn't contemplate putting one in a tank smaller than a small car!

However, you can get a variety of dwarf plecos that only grow to 3-4", such as the bristlenosed plec (Ancistrus), which is a wonderful fish to keep.

You wanted a school of small fish. That's a good idea, but do make sure you've got at least 6 because that will make the fish feel more secure. My recommendations are: dwarf corys, otos, black neon tetras, neons, cardinal tetras or white cloud mountain minnows. Cherry barbs are another idea - they aren't true schooling fish and don't like to have lots of their own species around, but a pair or a male and a couple of females would be fine. Gold barbs are similar but don't get tiger barbs as their name does fit their temperament!

Other tetras and barbs, danios and rasboras could be accomodated in a 10 gal, but are bigger so you'd have difficulty fitting in a school plus a dwarf plec. Do your research - particularly adult size and compatibility with your other potential tank-mates.

Another idea is to have a tank with a male betta plus some suitable tank-mates - you'd have to be careful in choosing them, to avoid fin-nippers, but it can be done (I have a male betta with a school of 8 black neon tetras and a pair of cherry barbs, in a 12 gal tank). A dwarf gourami could replace the betta, or you could just go for a species tank and get guppies - fantastic little fish and the most incredible colours!

You could try guppies with corries or maybe a type of tetra with a few cories and a betta ;)

Thanks for the advice folks!

THough, I've never been any good at keeping betas. For some reason they take a certain nack to keep and I don't have it.

wickedxyx said:
Thanks for the advice folks!

THough, I've never been any good at keeping betas. For some reason they take a certain nack to keep and I don't have it.
The "knack" is simply keeping water quality good, and that means having a properly cycled tank.

Unfortunately, people think bettas can cope with cold, un-filtered, un-cycled tanks where they spend their days swimming in ammonia. Sadly, often by the time we buy a betta from a shop, it's internal organs and immune system have already been damaged beyond repair. You can avoid that by only buying from the best shops.

Also, bettas should be kept with appropriate tank-mates, if any, who won't nip their fins. Go with a gourami or dwarf plec instead, if your prefer, but don't write-off bettas if you'd like one. I'm sure we can help you have a successful betta-caring experience this time! :)

Most reactions

trending

Back