Choosing Filter For My 10 Gallon

mwood2

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
749
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Vancouver WA (US)
Currently I have an interesting filtration set up as I have said in some previous post and i would like to find a new HoB Power filter. I use a Tetra Whisper 10 (older model) that currently had the media from a 5 gallon tank in it. Along with that was a Fluvel 2+ filter for 20+ gallon tanks. In total I have the filtration power for 30-35 gallons. Problem is when I set up this tank I didn't do a fishless cycle and used the media from my 5 gallon. Since I have the same stock from the 5 gallon though the tank remains fully cycled even though I have more fry. The previous filter has a Marineland bio wheel in it so what I did was a placed it in the water and let the current move it around the tank since I hear that the bacteria needs a current running through it for the bacteria to eat. It runs under the power filter and runs past the fluvel so it has a good current running but what I am thinking of is maybe replacing it with a Marineland flter that has a bio wheel slot in it. Would it be worth it at all? It would be another 10 gallon filter. I am also considering a Aqua Clear 20 gallon filter since they hold alot more media for bacteria growth but with those I am not sure my current filter media will fit and if it doesn't I don't know if it will keep the tank cycled.

Suggestions?
 
If you have been running with your make-shift setup and your chemistry is good then it is. Meanwhile your running filters are developing bacterial colonies so you are building them to the point that you could remove the floating wheel after a few weeks. I did something similar when I went from a cartridge type filter to a sponge filter. I had a couple of filter pads that I laid up against my sponge filter to get some flow through the pads. the sponge flow was just enough to hold them in place but gave me my biofilter until the sponge became established.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top