Cholla Wood!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DesertJennie

Reaction score
I recently ended up with a pleco and was really bummed by the selection of driftwood at the stores. I started doing some research and realized cholla wood would probably be just as good and it's available right at my doorstep! I have been collecting some really gorgeous specimens lately and would love to share. All of the wood I collect is coming off of untouched property -- by that I mean no fertilizers, pesticides, etc., are used anywhere near it. I have pieces ranging from 3" to 24" long. I can also "harvest by request". I discard all of the less stable stuff and only use the really solid pieces. I cut all the really sharp nubbins off and leave clean cuts on both ends (unless you like the "natural" jaggedness). I can jam-pack a small Priority Mail box with 3" - 6" pieces of untreated, unboiled wood for $13, postage-paid. I'm not running a commercial venture -- just trying to offer a hard-to-come-by item to everyone that would benefit from it! I'll try to figure out how to post pictures here and get some up so you can see what we've got going out here. My pleco is addicted to it -- he spends much of his time with his little mouth glued to his pieces!

il_570xN.338380191.jpg

Do you have any that branch off instead of just a straight piece of cholla?

Thanks!

+ Bump

Do you have any that branch off instead of just a straight piece of cholla?

Thanks!

+ Bump

Agreed! Have any with a more natural look, and not cut off on two ends?

Very interesting look to that wood. You could put plantings right inside of those holes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back