Chocolate Gouramis in a 10 gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish Fanatic34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was wondering if I would be able to keep a chocolate gourami in a 10 gallon and if so how many?

I would think a pair to a trio of them would be fine presuming you mean one of the smaller varieties such as Valliant's chocolate gouram.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Chocolate gouramis are normally wild caught and come from very soft water with an acid pH (GH is less than 50ppm, pH is less than 6.0). They require a heavily planted aquarium and do well in groups of 6-12. They need live and frozen foods and rarely take dry foods. It's best to keep them in a single species tank so you can keep the food up to them.

We also need the GH. The pH suggests soft water but assuming low pH means low GH can be misleading.

The successful chocolate gourami keepers I've seen have used 40s. I personally wouldn't even consider a 10 as a tank for them. Small tanks are unstable, and those fish need room to live in the numbers they do best in. They are very challenging fish to keep, one I'd say was for experienced keepers only.

GH and pH don't matter there, as the tank is too small for the needs of the species.

I concur. I had a group several years ago, and they spawned. The females are mouth-brooders. They were in a 4-foot 70g tank very thick with plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back