Chinese Algae Eater

calderfisher

New Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2006
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
Renfrewshire UK
Hi,
I have three CAE in a heavily planted tank. I would like to remove them as they are bothering my cories amungst others.
How can you catch them without wrecking the tank. I've had one attempt with no success and don't think I'll be catching them with a net.
Any ideas??

Craig
 
A good way is to put some Zucchini into a glass jar at night and just check on it periodically throughout the night, once you see one in it put a net on the open side of the jar and pull it out :)
 
Patience, 2 nets or as PRW1988 said (which i havnt tried but sounds good to me lol)

Jon
 
Just keep trying! :) There's not much of a trick to it. I suggest luring it into a corner. It's easier to catch that way.
 
Some people have made homemade traps and have had a lot of success with that. I personally haven't tried it but its probably worth a shot before you destroy your nice planted tank.
You basically take a plastic waterbottle, cut of the top and attach it on backwards, Apparently the fish will swim in, but not out, Just put some food in and wait.

I heard about it from here,
http://bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9414

Tells us if it works if you try it! =P
 
Some people have made homemade traps and have had a lot of success with that. I personally haven't tried it but its probably worth a shot before you destroy your nice planted tank.
You basically take a plastic waterbottle, cut of the top and attach it on backwards, Apparently the fish will swim in, but not out, Just put some food in and wait.

I heard about it from here,
[URL="http://bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9414"]http://bcaquaria.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9414[/URL]

Tells us if it works if you try it! =P

That's exactly what I tried last night!!!! First attempt, baited with two algae wafers, layed on the sand netted 2 cories, a guppy and a zebra danio!!!
After emptying that lot out I waited until the lights were off then angled the trap with the entrance on some rocks where the CAE likes to hang out.
Checked on it during the night and success, two of them swimming about. Transfered them to a more suitable tank.

thanks for all your help


Craig
 

Most reactions

Back
Top