Cherry Shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had no luck keeping cherry shrimp at all.  I bought several large batches in the past and they all died.  But I've bought amano shrimp and one died and the rest have thrived perfectly.  I guess those are more suited to my tank.

Seems my 4 are gone. 
bye2.gif
   I suspect my filter is just too powerful for such a small being. 

I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/ 75 in that tank. The only other stock in the tank are 10 rummy nose tetras, and 2 mystery snails.  From what I've read, neither pose a threat to cherry shrimp.

Sorry to hear that. Just make sure the shrimp haven't somehow entered the filter and are merrily living it up on all the yummy gunk in the filter. I have seen many a shrimp very happy inside my HOB filters, other shrimp keepers I know have found shrimp alive and well in their canister filters. And when I had internal filters in my tank I used always have to be careful opening the filter because the BN fry would keep getting inside and living the life of Riley.

Oh!  Had not thought of that!  Will check in a bit.  Thank you for this tip!

Baccus said:
Sorry to hear that. Just make sure the shrimp haven't somehow entered the filter and are merrily living it up on all the yummy gunk in the filter. I have seen many a shrimp very happy inside my HOB filters, other shrimp keepers I know have found shrimp alive and well in their canister filters. And when I had internal filters in my tank I used always have to be careful opening the filter because the BN fry would keep getting inside and living the life of Riley.
Looked in the filter, nothing.

About an hour ago, I got set up with a chair, right in front of the tank, and just sat there.  After about 15 minutes, I spotted one shrimp!  HOORAY!!  He was sitting on the gravel -- they are small and I guess I am not used to seeing them!

Another 5 minutes and I found a second one!  At that point I could see both. 

So I guess they ARE in there, and I just need to keep the faythe! 
good.gif

Glad to hear that you found at least two of them, the others are probably hanging out somewhere in the tank. If you want  you can try to con the shrimp out of hiding with a food that the shrimp are really partial to, like catfish wafers, algae wafers, certain fish crumbles or even some nice vegetables like zucchini, and from all accounts shrimp are also partial to banana.

Congratulations
winner.gif
, you will have shrimplets cruising about your tank in no time
yes.gif

Couldn't stand it, met with another aquarist earlier this evening, and got 30 more shrimp.  Put some in each of my 2 tanks.  NOW I can find them!

The problem with shrimp in a community tank is the babies are easy snacks for nearly any size of fish. They will breed but will always be hiding and the population will stay low. If you really want to see these shrimp in full force, set up a 5 gallon for just them and maybe some snails. They will be a lot more confident and you will see shrimp of all ages out in the open. I did this and some of my shrimp have reached one inch in length! best of all, you'll have an eternal supply of shrimp to put in your other tanks!

Found the 1st baby shrimp today sat on the moss ball eating a bit of flake ( vid to follow later tonight )

Jamowens said:
Found the 1st baby shrimp today sat on the moss ball eating a bit of flake ( vid to follow later tonight )
Hooray!  That is great!  **grinning from ear to ear**

Question.  I have moss balls in both tanks, and I have rcs in both tanks.  When I do a water change, I gently swish and squeeze the moss ball in the bucket of water I am removing from the tank.  So um, I'm going to lose babies this way, too?  Geesh!  I "JUST" Finished doing my water changes, so all 4 moss balls have been 'cleaned.' 

I really thought I had no shrimp left.  But in vacuuming gravel, managed to find one adult in the bucket from each tank, so they are still in there!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back