Cherry Shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jamowens

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Bought some Cherry Shrimps from Carl at Northfield Aquatics £1 each some with eggs aswell , put them in with my Xenotoca Eiseni fry in the Wave 15 tank with a bit of slate for cover & 2 Marimo Moss Balls . Shrimps doing ok had them 2 days now .

Attachments

• 20140309_121616_11252-1.jpg
    20140309_121616_11252-1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 20140309_121923_26945.jpg
    20140309_121923_26945.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 66
Nice!  Let us know how things go re the eggs.

They look beautiful! I'm going to be getting some once I get a tank set up/cycled. So I'm jealous you have some now! :)

My red cherry shrimp don't look like that. They are completely bright red all over. Like REALLY red! :)

Nice, think you'll find these characters add a nice addition to any tank  
smile.png

Found one with eggs this morning not a good pic but you can clearly see the eggs

Attachments

• 20140310_210018_879-1.jpg
    20140310_210018_879-1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 75
That's not the saddle, those are the fertilised eggs awaiting hatching. The saddle is actually the undeveloped eggs carried just behind the head about where you would expect to see the saddle on a horse.

Great to see a berried soon to be mamma shrimp.

Oh yeah, I knew that,  Saddle is on top duh! 

These cherry shrimp are SMALL, aren't they? I picked up 4 today from another aquarist; haven't been able to see them at all in my 50 gallon.

Cherry shrimp are fairly small, but once they have settled in and are feeling safe and secure they should start showing themselves more. Also loved special foods will usually draw them out of the deep dark recesses of a tank.

The worst thing about keeping cherry shrimp (apart from them being addictive
wink.png
) is their habit of hitch hiking to other tanks via any transferred live plants. Also the fact that the shrimplets are so small that you can easily accidentally siphon up shrimplets when doing water changes.

Baccus said:
Also the fact that the shrimplets are so small that you can easily accidentally siphon up shrimplets when doing water changes.

I always check the bucket of old tank water. I usually have to rescue baby, and sometimes larger than baby, shrimps before I throw the water out.

essjay said:

Also the fact that the shrimplets are so small that you can easily accidentally siphon up shrimplets when doing water changes.

I always check the bucket of old tank water. I usually have to rescue baby, and sometimes larger than baby, shrimps before I throw the water out.

I'll have to start doing that I guess.  Was thinking I'd pour the water through a sieve in the sink, and catch any that way.

I'm also hoping that with 4, I'll start seeing more, in time!  I saw one sitting on a moss ball last evening!  Apparently, my camera is not able to take clear pics of something so small.  Phooey.  Anyway "I" get to enjoy them, lol.

I also put some blanched zuke in the tank last evening.

are these quite easy to keep? i am thinking of getting some to control some hair algae i have - do you think they would do the job or is it just amano shrimp that do that :)

cherry shrimp are quite easy to keep, but alas they are not renound for their hair algae eating capabilities. Amano would be your best bet in that regard.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back