Cherry Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

benthyer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I keep thinking about this more and more and now that I have finished stocking my tank with fish I am toying with the idea of adding shrimps.

My only concern is whether or not they will be preyed upon by my fish. I have in my tank:
2 Pearl Gourami's
4 Zebra Danios
4 Guppies
4 Harlequin Rasboras
1 BN Plec
5 Corydoras

My tank is quite well planted now and I also have some moss balls on the way.

Will they be ok in this tank? Is there a better species of shrimp I could get?

I have got Pearl Danio's and RCS in my tank, and they pretty much leave each other alone.

At first, the danio's were nosy and kept on checking out the RCS, but after a couple of weeks you would see them swimming almost along side by side and ignoring each other.

The RCS have multiplied, and a lot of the shrimp fry (too many sometimes!!) make it into shrimp juveniles and then into adults.

So, Danio's I would say are fine, but I'm not sure about the other varieties of fish though.

I think the gouramis would make short work of any shrimps, tbh.

The gouramis will definitely eat cherries, the guppies, zebras, rasboras will certainly try young shrimp.

Get a big enough colony and enough hiding places, you may find you can keep em together, but the odd few may go missing

I keep reading mixed things online as well. Some saying that they had absolutely no issue and others saying that their shrimps didn't last a day.

I guess it will just be a case of trial and error to see what interest the fish have in them. Maybe I will wait ill I get my small tank because at least then I can move gem out if needed.

If you want shrimp with gouramis, I wouldn't risk cherries, I'd go for an amano or 3.

Your Gourami would nom on the shrimp in no time.
If you don't want to risk it, you could add like 30 of them in the tank and hope they reproduce.
When mine were in with the Betta, they stopped reproducing tho.

If you make sure to provide thick cover for the shrimp I'd think they'd survive. I have RCS in my 55g with tiger barbs, several different tetras, 2 flying fox and all sorts of corydoras. The RCS hide out in the denser foliage and generally only come out at night. Often I'll see them when I first turn on the light.

Most reactions

Back