Cherry Shrimp Jumping Ship!

10 days... :/ You're right, that doesn't sound ok. I hope he perks up soon.

Just so you know, since I started using purigen in my filter, my shrimp have all been perfectly happy. Might be worth using it for a little while just to remove anything in the water that might still be affecting him.

For the advice, you're very welcome. I hope I've been some help. :)
Purigen eh? I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

-Darke

10 days... :/ You're right, that doesn't sound ok. I hope he perks up soon.

Just so you know, since I started using purigen in my filter, my shrimp have all been perfectly happy. Might be worth using it for a little while just to remove anything in the water that might still be affecting him.

For the advice, you're very welcome. I hope I've been some help. :)
Purigen eh? I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tip.

-Darke

Wait, do you use Purigen in place of your biological filtering material? Wouldn't that be a bad idea? I mean don't all of your good bacteria live in your biological filter material? If you do a total swap you'll lose all of that bacteria.

-Darke

Purigen is a chemical filtration media... much more advanced over activated carbon. It's white and turns brown as it gets dirty so you know when to recharge it. It can be recharged and reused up to eight times. It is also supposed to be 500 times more effective than carbon so it lasts months between recharges where carbon should be trashed every couple of weeks.

Heh... No, you should never replace your biological filter with a chemical one. :) But your filter should have a means of attaching a chemical component after the biological one, so that anything the bacteria miss, the chemical media will catch.

Okay, that makes sense. Yeah I have a three stage filter... So I would just toss the carbon and use purigen. Cool! Thanks, that makes much more sense now.

Update: I moved the heater out of the corner, and rearranged the tank to give a lot more hiding places (including the aforementioned clay pot to allow him to shed safely). Now he is out in the open, fanning the water, exploring, etc. He did turn white after I rearranged the tank, I assume from stress. I'll have to check him today when I get home. I'm still waiting on my Marimo moss balls to arrive. I know it's not as relevant now that I've figured out he's a wood shrimp and not a cherry shrimp, but I still want to see if he will like them.

-Darke

Actually, they still ought be good for him, as they have a habit of collecting detritus and providing a good place for microorganisms to breed. :)

Lack of colouration is indeed a sign of stress, but it should return once he settles.

Waitwaitwait, aren't cleaner shrimp marine?

I would LMAO if you had a marine shrimp, no wonder he keeps escaping! It actually sounds true because freshwater shrimp don't usually cost 12 bucks!

Who said anything about cleaner shrimp? :blink: Dude, if it was marine, it'd be dead by now...

Yeah it's not marine. He was 'labeled' as a cleaner shrimp at the LFS, but he's definitely a wood shrimp.

Update: Came home tonight, and he had shed. Now he's VERY active. He's spent the entire time on the underside of my floating plants picking them clean. He's still not quite back to normal color, but I think that's pretty normal immediately after shedding. Thanks for all the help!

-Darke

Ah, now I see.:)

My bad, so it's a cleaner shrimp in general. It's name isn’t actually "cleaner shrimp", because there is in fact a marine shrimp which is just called "cleaner shrimp":D

QUESTION!

Can I keep cherry shrimp with Gold oplaine Gouramies? Will they be eaten? Thanks!

Purigen is a chemical filtration media... much more advanced over activated carbon. It's white and turns brown as it gets dirty so you know when to recharge it. It can be recharged and reused up to eight times. It is also supposed to be 500 times more effective than carbon so it lasts months between recharges where carbon should be trashed every couple of weeks.

I went to my LFS; purigen was $65.00!!!! Granted it was a HUGE bottle, but since they didn't have anything smaller, I didn't buy it. I'll keep an eye out for it later, perhaps in a smaller, more cost effective sized bottle.
:good:

-Darke

I went to my LFS; purigen was $65.00!!!! Granted it was a HUGE bottle, but since they didn't have anything smaller, I didn't buy it. I'll keep an eye out for it later, perhaps in a smaller, more cost effective sized bottle.

-Darke

PetsMart.com has the 100ml sized package with the purigen already in a mesh filter bag for under $7.00. If you print their online page and bring it to the store, they'll match the price. You don't need a large pacakage of this stuff since it's rechargeable and reusable over and over. It should last a couple of years.

-Darke

PetsMart.com has the 100ml sized package with the purigen already in a mesh filter bag for under $7.00. If you print their online page and bring it to the store, they'll match the price. You don't need a large pacakage of this stuff since it's rechargeable and reusable over and over. It should last a couple of years.

Wow! Great tip, thanks!
-Darke

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back