Cherry Shrimp In Australia

jeej

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Brisbane, Australia
I'm really keen to get some of these, but as of yet I haven't found them in Australia. Are they even available?
 
Could you import some from the USA of singapore/china?

I also find it incredibly difficult to find some in the Uk, I had to resort to ebay, fair credit though, all 10 are still alive and well.
 
Could you import some from the USA of singapore/china?

I also find it incredibly difficult to find some in the Uk, I had to resort to ebay, fair credit though, all 10 are still alive and well.

From what I understand it is bloody hard to import this sort of thing into Australia. Something to do with the Shrimp being considered a type of bug.
 
Anyone that lives in the Brisbane area, Wet Petz in Chandler along the Old Cleveland Road now have Red Cherry Shrimp. First shipment retail at 1 for $35 or 3 for $100. The guy is breeding them in a tank at his house now, so I think the next batch will be a bit cheaper. He also has these red and white shrimp coming in next week, I forget the name but he showed me in this Japanese magazine. Anyway those ones will be $100 each.

http://www.wetpetz.com/
 
I'll be in the area (QLD) in April 2008. I must look into WetPetz whilst I'm there.
Thanks for the details.
Funny how they originate from Japan which is pretty close to OZ and command such a high price.
In the UK which is thousands of miles away they retail for childs pocket money.
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?...products_id=873
Regards
BigC
 
Fish in Australia seem to command their prices based on how common they are. Neon Tetras are like $1 each, whilst Cardinal Tetras are $6 each etc...

The Red Cherry Shrimp will come down in price if enough retailers start selling them. Don't think I'll be taking any of those $100 Shrimp though!
 
100AUD is very steep.
They must be easy enough to breed though given the low price in the UK.
 
Think these were the $100 ones he has coming in next week...

bee_red.jpg
 
I got some Red Cherry Shrimp yesterday from Wet Petz.

They were $30 each but the guy did me 5 for $120.

Talk about stressful though. Initially they were quite active, but by the end of the day they were all hidden like the Predator. I can only liken it to betting on a dead cert with a large amount of money - you know it is a dead cert, but you still poo your pants because it is a lot of money.

Hence this morning I had more or less convinced myself they all must have died over night, when one very pale little chap pops his head out. Hurrah!

Anyway, I had these shrimp in a small tank with 10 baby guppies. Now maybe it is just a coincidence, but once I removed the guppies, literally all 5 shrimp came out to play.

What I would suggest, especially if your shrimp have cost you a lot of money, is to keep them on their own for a while. Till at least they have had a few babies! The guy at Wet Petz was cool though, he deliberately gave me two heavily pregnant females, so hopefully they will drop soon.

It is fascinating watching them swim around, they are so damn fast. And it is peculiar watching the females maintain the eggs - I clearly don't know enough about the anatomy of shrimp, but it is pretty bizarre under there!

If anyone in the Brisbane area is interested in taking some of my babies when they drop, give me a shout and I'm sure we can come to an arrangement.
 
Works out as $26 US dollars.

I'm sure you have $26, but you just wouldn't choose to spend it on shrimp - that's the difference.

Anyway, if I can raise a healthy enough number of them, then I should get my money back pretty quick.
 
Works out as $26 US dollars.

I'm sure you have $26, but you just wouldn't choose to spend it on shrimp - that's the difference.

Anyway, if I can raise a healthy enough number of them, then I should get my money back pretty quick.


$2.54 cents in change and a pocket full of sawdust.... That's all I have to my name. :angry:

That's gas money for the week. :-( I need a job.



~edit~ as a side note....how's about you set up a tank just for breeding shrimp....Become the sole provider of cherry shrimp down under! You'd make a huge profit :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top