Cherry shrimp dropped eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

cmhassinger

Fish of the Month šŸŒŸ
Reaction score
So I have two shrimp one cherry and one what I thought/was told was a Amano shrimp. I didnā€™t know the sexes but one day I saw a sac of yellow eggs on a leaf. After research I now know my cherry is a female but from reading online they canā€™t breed with a Amano shrimp? My sucker fish ate the eggs And now she is hiding and seems very skiddish which isnā€™t like her and seems to be constantly moving her swimmerets. Is that normal shrimp behavior? I found the eggs maybe 2 weeks ago so I canā€™t imagine she is pregnant again?
im starting to worry about her

Hiding is fairly normal, especially around moult time. I never know how many cherry shrimp I have because for every 1 I can see there are another 3-4 that I can't. Moving the swimmerets constantly is normal when they are carrying eggs to keep the water moving over them ( and they are pretty active even when they aren't).

In case you didn't know, when she is carrying the eggs they are actually outside her body. I have never seen one drop its eggs so that could have been caused by a stressful event. I have also never had just one, so I don't know if they produce eggs in the absence of a male to fertilise them - but if they are sterile I guess she would have to get rid of them. Do you have a picture of the one you think is an amano?

Thank you for your reply! Iā€™m so new at this so I have been trying to learn as much as I can
I have seen them hide after they moult but it usually isnt for this long. Attached is the picture of the other shrimp when I first got him and I attached a picture of the mystery eggs. Lol my local fish store thought snail eggs but I donā€™t have any snails.

Attachments

• 5ED55271-0637-47A8-8E5D-54922DA8CE43.jpeg
    5ED55271-0637-47A8-8E5D-54922DA8CE43.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 3741AA70-58A3-4260-AF20-D1BE0F8822B4.jpeg
    3741AA70-58A3-4260-AF20-D1BE0F8822B4.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 151
If females drop their eggs, they should fall independtly all over the tank. They shouldnā€™t stay in a clump. The eggs will be tiny egg shaped and either green or yellow. Do you have snails? A female can only be berried (carrying eggs) if a male fertilizes them. Amani and red cherry can not breed together. Amano shrimp are very difficult to breed.

Ok so I figured out it was probably my Otto fish eggs. My guess is since I donā€™t have a male they werenā€™t fertilized and she eventually ate them. I am still worried about my cherry shrimps behavior since she has never hidden from me before but maybe something spooked her?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back