Check My Stocking List.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Gurglar

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
For my 35 gallon I think ive thought of a stocking list tell me if it sounds ok.

1x dwarf gourami
10x neon tetras
5x platies
6x cory's

for the cory's i'm thinking something like panda cory's or pygmy cory's. If anyone has any suggestions for the cory's or the amount of stock I have would be great.

Thanks.

For my 35 gallon I think ive thought of a stocking list tell me if it sounds ok.

1x dwarf gourami
10x neon tetras
5x platies
6x cory's

for the cory's i'm thinking something like panda cory's or pygmy cory's. If anyone has any suggestions for the cory's or the amount of stock I have would be great.

Thanks.

stocking sounds great to me. Have you thought of decreasing the amount of neons though and putting a few Rummy nosed in instead? They're so striking in the tank and mine seem to shoal with the neons anyway. I would personally go for Sterbai cory's - they've got great little personalities and are very distinctive IMO.

stocking sounds great to me. Have you thought of decreasing the amount of neons though and putting a few Rummy nosed in instead? They're so striking in the tank and mine seem to shoal with the neons anyway. I would personally go for Sterbai cory's - they've got great little personalities and are very distinctive IMO.

Nah never thought of putting some rummynose tetras in I might consider doing that and the sterbai cory's I never heard of them till now and might get some of them thanks.

rummynose are stunning,as are sterbai cories.i used to keep 10 sterbai cories with 7 red torpedoes and some black ruby barbs and odessa barbs.looked stunning.often think i should have kept the tank and not spent loads of ££££ and time continually chopping and changing.

sterbai cories are very hardy as well and are quite happy in tanks with higher temps.8-10 rummynose would look good as would black ruby barbs/oddessa barbs instead of the rummynose.

1x dwarf gourami
10x neon tetras
5x platies
6x cory's

Looks good to me. As far as the Corydoras go i'd stay away from Pandas to begin with IMO. Their supposed to be one of the less hardy varietes as I know well. I'd also go for the Sterbai variety. I'd probably also replace the neons with cardinals if you can get hold of them, much more colourful fish. :)

I'd probably also replace the neons with cardinals if you can get hold of them, much more colourful fish. :)

I was Thinking of doing that but I barely ever see cardinals for sale around my area.

From my experience dwarf gouramis are pretty hard to get heathy ones... This is from a previous email from Practical Fish Keeping:

"Ever wondered why Dwarf gouramies are so difficult to keep alive these days? They've been pretty ropey for at least a decade, but new reports from readers have suggested that things have become even worse. Symptoms suggest bacterial infection, but treatment is rarely successful.

I had previously suspected that the indiscriminate use of antibiotics was to blame - this is a big problem in the fish world. However, we can now exclusively reveal that the culprit may be a virus called DGIV. Like other viruses, this one's virtually impossible to detect and there's no cure. But, worse still, it has already spread to other species. Some 22% of Dwarf gouramies tested carried the virus."

Not wanting to put you off because they are lovely fish but thought I would share this with you.

Also, from what I've heard/experienced they seem to prefer to be kept in pairs :)

From my experience dwarf gouramis are pretty hard to get heathy ones... This is from a previous email from Practical Fish Keeping:

"Ever wondered why Dwarf gouramies are so difficult to keep alive these days? They've been pretty ropey for at least a decade, but new reports from readers have suggested that things have become even worse. Symptoms suggest bacterial infection, but treatment is rarely successful.

I had previously suspected that the indiscriminate use of antibiotics was to blame - this is a big problem in the fish world. However, we can now exclusively reveal that the culprit may be a virus called DGIV. Like other viruses, this one's virtually impossible to detect and there's no cure. But, worse still, it has already spread to other species. Some 22% of Dwarf gouramies tested carried the virus."

Not wanting to put you off because they are lovely fish but thought I would share this with you.

Also, from what I've heard/experienced they seem to prefer to be kept in pairs :)

I'm not going to buy a dwarf gourami i've already got one in my 5 gallon that I am moving up to the 35 gallon. I've had him for about 2 nearlly 3 months in the 5 gallon and hes a healthy little fish.

Overall sounds good.

If you want another suggestion to replace neons, I suggest Silver Tip Tetras. Very active lil things, very very shiny, nice character, too. They aren't as peaceful though, and maybe they aren't the best choice with gouramis.
Also, I have Black Phantoms Tetras, very nice fish, they like to flare out their dorsal fins a lot and it looks nice. Mine are very peaceful and are fun to watch.

For cories, my personal favorite is panda cories. I put three in an uncycled tank (ignorance...) and they all lived. They are one of my favorite fish of all time, loads of character, always active. Also, they're small.

With your platies, try to get one male and 4 females, otherwise the females will become stressed. Trust me.

I would suggest contrary to others, that it's better to stick with 10 or more, and have the same species. This looks much more striking than two groups of 5. Neons are fine, as are all the other species that have been suggested, but I'd just go for one if you want a shoal. I thought I'd throw another variety into the mix as far as corydoras are concerned. Think about Julii. They're my favourite, really very nice indeed!

I'm not going to buy a dwarf gourami i've already got one in my 5 gallon that I am moving up to the 35 gallon. I've had him for about 2 nearlly 3 months in the 5 gallon and hes a healthy little fish.

:) Sounds like a plan then

I like panda cories too :) And I agree with Sibelius about keeping it with 10 or more for a shoal - much more impact!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back