Cheapest glass scrubber - needing macgyver options

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Duckquarium

Reaction score
Whatā€™s the cheapest macgyver type algae scrubber that I can put together using household items?
I donā€™t have any clean scotchbrite or anything like thatā€¦ but I do have double sided razor blades and old t shirts..
Bonus points for pictures, Iā€™m a visual learner.

I use single sided razor blades, and ancient cassette covers did the job, if you have them lying around in a box somewhere.

Dollar store plastic scrubbies. Clean the hard algae and they serve as filter media as well, one of my canister filters has been loaded with them for years. I get a pack of 5 or 6 for $1.

index.jpeg

I use single sided razor blades, and ancient cassette covers did the job, if you have them lying around in a box somewhere.
I have double edge ones I want to avoid using but I guess thereā€™s my first last ditch
Any plastic card, the ones with a magnetic strip.
I have an expired ID that might work for now, itā€™s hole punched and doesnā€™t have a strip but it worked great for uhhh, stuffā€¦..
Dollar store plastic scrubbies. Clean the hard algae and they serve as filter media as well, one of my canister filters has been loaded with them for years. I get a pack of 5 or 6 for $1.

View attachment 156998
Iā€™m gonna see if they have any at dollar general down the street I got $6 stillā€¦

Thanks for the tips guys sounds like problem solved

If you use 2 sided razor blades and leave a finger in the tank, it is likely to mess with your cycle...
I would use single sided but I have double sided since I grow a thick beard and have to have double the blade surface area or Iā€™ll take too long shaving
I used an expired drivers license in the end though

Come on guys, credit cards, razor blades (ouch) really? Admit my plastic scrubber idea is the "best"! ā˜ŗļø

Come on guys, credit cards, razor blades (ouch) really? Admit my plastic scrubber idea is the "best"! ā˜ŗļø
Well I still havenā€™t found a ride to the dollar store yet but aside from that itā€™s pretty good as long as they have them.
The razor blade doubles as fertilizer for your plants though.
When you cut yourself the blood turns into plant available nutrients.

Are there any chemicals in Magic Erasers (plain version)? I ask because as I recall the instructions cautioned NOT to use with chlorine. This would imply a chemical reaction with the eraser.
That could also be due to a chemical reaction with the material, kind of how e85 corrodes your fuel lines if you donā€™t have a flex fuel car cause itā€™s alcohol.
Maybe chlorine makes the sponge melt, but I donā€™t know either I suspect the magic eraser has some kind of cleaning compound in it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back