Ellie Potts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a peacock eel for my 55 gallon aquarium, but the tank doesn't have a lid and has an overhead light. I've looked into ordering an acrylic sheet to go on top (I'm thinking 1/4" extruded acrylic although I really have no idea), but I'm not sure how I'd secure the sheet to my tank... I don't want it to slide off. Any ideas for a cheap aquarium cover?

itiwhetu

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have always found that acrylic will bend with the heat from the tank. I use 4 or 6 mm glass. Measure the size and go down to a local glazier and ask for second hand glass. The guys I go to give it to me for free as it costs them to dump it ;)

OP
Ellie Potts

Ellie Potts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have always found that acrylic will bend with the heat from the tank. I use 4 or 6 mm glass. Measure the size and go down to a local glazier and ask for second hand glass. The guys I go to give it to me for free as it costs them to dump it ;)
Alright, I'll see if I can get my hands on some glass... hope I can find a good glazier lol. How do you attach it to your tank?

Crispii

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This is pretty similar to what I thought I might do... but I think it cuts over how he attaches it to the tank :( The material is really light and I fear a big enough fish would be able to knock it off.
Just put weights on top of the lid

itiwhetu

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Alright, I'll see if I can get my hands on some glass... hope I can find a good glazier lol. How do you attach it to your tank?
you can make some little brackets that will support it. I usually glue a piece of glass about 10 mm below the top of the tank, one at each end, and then the lid sits on that. I have a strip about 100mm wide that I remove for feeding.

AquaViva

Reaction score
This is pretty similar to what I thought I might do... but I think it cuts over how he attaches it to the tank :( The material is really light and I fear a big enough fish would be able to knock it off.
Yea it isn't attached to the tank, just sits on it. Bigger fish might be able to knock it off, I couldn't tell you for sure.

OP
Ellie Potts

Ellie Potts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a peacock eel for my 55 gallon aquarium, but the tank doesn't have a lid and has an overhead light. I've looked into ordering an acrylic sheet to go on top (I'm thinking 1/4" extruded acrylic although I really have no idea), but I'm not sure how I'd secure the sheet to my tank... I don't want it to slide off. Any ideas for a cheap aquarium cover?
Alright folks, I'm going to use the acrylic clips @seangee recommended and get some glass cut at Home Depot. Thanks everyone!