Charcoal, Or No Charcoal, That Is The Question!

Do you think using charcoal is worth it or not?

  • Use charcoal

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't bother using Charcoal

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Ok, so I'm just interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on the whole 'charcoal in the filter' issue.
The Interpet PF2 in-tank filter I have been running in my 60L tank uses an activated charcoal sponge, but I must admit that I don't change it as regularly as they recommend.
The new Aquis 1200 filter that came with my 300L tank has bio-balls, ceramic noodles, 2 sheets of course of foam, and 1 sheet of the fine 'wool', but no charcoal, (or space to put any it would seem...)

Am I missing out? Should I sacrifice some of the filter media in the Aquis 1200 and replace it with activated charcoal media?
If people do run activated charcoal in their filter systems how often do YOU replace it?

Thanks all!
 
It gets saturated quite quickly, so most of the time, it's not doing much. I do keep a box of it on hand, but not normally in my filter. After a course of medications, I put some in, then replace it after a week and leave it until the next time I think about it. I also put fresh carbon in with any new driftwood to help battle tannins, but in that case I usually just do one round.
 
no and no!

charcoal is a wonderful filter media for removing toxins, by all means keep some in the cupboard and when you need to remove medications from the tank or something like that then pop some in, take it out 24hrs later and throw it away. that being said water changes are just as effective!

the problem is charcoal is only active for a short period, there's some discussion over how long it works for but most people agree it's literally a few days. After this time it will just start to act as bio media with bacteria growing on it's surface. Now that's fine in it's way but because it's not designed for the job it's not as effective a home for your bacteria as a specific bio media would be and then when you do throw it away every month or whatever you're just throwing away some of your precious bacteria colony.

So I say use the space for proper bio media that will stay there forever. :good:
 
Unless I have to remove medication, I don't use it either.

I'll bump your thread up and perhaps someone who does use it will post their opinion about the matter. :D
 
I dont use it . It takes out meds in the tank when i forget to rid the tank of charcoal, its a mess to clean when you first get it ( all the dust), and really, is USELESS.

I wont use it unless im trying to purify rainwater, in which the charcaol can get rid of the pollutants that are in the rain.
 
As far as i'm concerned the only point in charcoal is reducing tannins from wood
 
It gets saturated quite quickly, so most of the time, it's not doing much. I do keep a box of it on hand, but not normally in my filter. After a course of medications, I put some in, then replace it after a week and leave it until the next time I think about it. I also put fresh carbon in with any new driftwood to help battle tannins, but in that case I usually just do one round.


+1 :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top