🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently got characodon lateralis "los berros", a uncommon fish from Mexico. One of the females seems to be pregnant and I am wondering how to take care of the fry. @emeraldking I saw characodon on your website, and wondering if you can help?

Is it okay to separate the female into a breeding tank and let her give birth there?
I'm also wondering:
Will the baby Characodon live together with guppy fry? the adults are quite aggressive so I am not sure.

Hello everyone! I recently got characodon lateralis "los berros", a uncommon fish from Mexico. One of the females seems to be pregnant and I am wondering how to take care of the fry. @emeraldking I saw characodon on your website, and wondering if you can help?

Is it okay to separate the female into a breeding tank and let her give birth there?
I'm also wondering:
Will the baby Characodon live together with guppy fry? the adults are quite aggressive so I am not sure.
Characodon lateralis leave their fry totally alone at my place, just like most goodeids will. Don't feed those fry if they still have their trophotaneniae. If you wan to keep those C.lateralis fry together with guppy fry, that would be okay as well. But once guppies get large fins, I would separate those from the upgrowing C.lateralis. Despite of the fact that C.lateralis are one of the more friendly goodeid species, they can still nip at large fins of others.

Characodon lateralis leave their fry totally alone at my place, just like most goodeids will. Don't feed those fry if they still have their trophotaneniae. If you wan to keep those C.lateralis fry together with guppy fry, that would be okay as well. But once guppies get large fins, I would separate those from the upgrowing C.lateralis. Despite of the fact that C.lateralis are one of the more friendly goodeid species, they can still nip at large fins of others.
hello! thanks! they are not in a species only tank, and there are rasboras which I fear will eat the fry...
will it be alright to separate the female into a breeding tank just for her to drop the fry?

Characodon lateralis do not always leave their new born young alone, For great success move female to a well planted tank, Brood size usually Between 7 and 15 Occasionally producing over 20 fry, if apart of trophotaneniae is still attach to new born baby goodeids It's usually an indication that the fry have not long been born. a trophotaneniae Usually drop off after two or three hours Do not feed fry within the 1st 24 hours.

hello! thanks! they are not in a species only tank, and there are rasboras which I fear will eat the fry...
will it be alright to separate the female into a breeding tank just for her to drop the fry?
Of course you can...

Characodon lateralis do not always leave their new born young alone, For great success move female to a well planted tank, Brood size usually Between 7 and 15 Occasionally producing over 20 fry, if apart of trophotaneniae is still attach to new born baby goodeids It's usually an indication that the fry have not long been born. a trophotaneniae Usually drop off after two or three hours Do not feed fry within the 1st 24 hours.
I moved the female to a breeding tank that just has a few guppy fry in it, hopefully she will drop her babies and I can move her out.
Of course you can...

Mine have been friendly towards fry for the past years. But everyone's got their own experience, of course...
Thanks for the help guys! There’s now 3-4 baby characodons in the small tank. they are very large, as big as guppy fry with 1 whole month of growth

Most reactions

Back