Changing to Sponge filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cromid

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hey guys, me again

I currently have an Interpret pf2 for my 15gal planted long tank that's stocked with amano shrimp, rasbora, Cory's and a single female betta. But starting to think the flow is alittle too much particularly for my Betta, plus is an absolute pain to clean.

I've not much knowledge on Sponge filters and whether getting one with an airpump would be a good alternative.
Since my tank is heavily planted and pretty fully stocked, would a sponge filter be of good enough filtration to keep my tank clean.

If yes if anyone can give me good links for the size they'd reccomend for my tank, and what appropriate pump/tubing I'd need that'd be super helpful.
Also, if I do change to a sponge filter, what would swapping them over entail? Do I need to run them both for awhile, can I use the media from my current power filter?

Thanks as always

I use sponge filters in all of my betta tanks. I just put my filter media behind my sponge filter for awhile. You can run both if you want.

I have Aquatop sponge filters in my 30 gallon tank, they are not expensive. It is a simple design and works well. I bought a IMGA air pump for it which is fairly quiet . They mark the size of the tanks the filter and bump will handle on the sides of the box.

I have Aquatop sponge filters in my 30 gallon tank, they are not expensive. It is a simple design and works well. I bought a IMGA air pump for it which is fairly quiet . They mark the size of the tanks the filter and bump will handle on the sides of the box.
Thanks so much!

So I purchased my sponge filter and an airpump and fixed the airstone inside the filter! Woo!
I know these are much mor gentle than power filters, so i can't see a great deal of flow but..
It also came with a 2nd length of tubing and 2nd airstone. Would this be beneficial to add to the opposite side of my tank through the pump to help with flow since my tank is long, or is it simply just a spare

You are not supposed to put the air stone inside the filter. Just connect the tubing from the pump to the filter. What make of filter have you got?

Air stones are usually provided with an air pump as most people use air pumps to power air stones not filters. Air stones can clog which is why there's a spare.

You are not supposed to put the air stone inside the filter. Just connect the tubing from the pump to the filter. What make of filter have you got?

Air stones are usually provided with an air pump as most people use air pumps to power air stones not filters. Air stones can clog which is why there's a spare.
Oh everywhere I looked for research said to put one inside to make the bubbles smaller and quieter.
I bought an aquaone 60

Do you mean this one

AquaOne FilterAir 60.jpg

I had the smaller size in my betta's tank and you attach the air line to the bit where I've put the red X. The hollow centre is for carbon or mature media.

Yeah that's the one. Ok that's cool thanks. I just saw a few videos where they basically put the airstone in it n fed the tubing through. Thanks!

The plastic parts of the filter come apart into several bits - the flat bit at the top where the tubing is attached, a cylinder that sits in the centre of the sponge, the big weighted base and another flat bit between the base and the sponge. That last bit has lots of tiny holes in it and they get clogged. I found a toothbrush was the best way to unclog it.

Make sure you remember how to put it back together afterwards. I once put the top flat bit on the wrong way round and wondered why the tubing wouldn't stay on :blush:

Since my tanks quite shallow I had to cut the tube alittle to be just under the water line.. is this looking ok? As I say there doesn't seem to be much of a flow around the tank. If not would removing the tube help or hinder even more?
Sorry, I'm pretty new to these filters!
If there isn't enough, would adding an airstone to the other end of the tank help with the lack of circulation?

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_173942.jpg
    IMG_20200626_173942.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 75

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back