Changing To Sand

m00se

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hull, UK
After reading so many posts by so many people who independently say they'd switched from gravel to sand, that it wasn't high-maintenance at all, and that they'd never go back, I think I'm gonna go ahead and do it on my main tank. I figure it can't take more than a couple of hours, so what the hell.

I'm pretty sure I know the drill for how to physically do it, unless anyone has any more advice (wash sand beforehand, water into spare tank, fish into spare tank, unplant, remove ornaments, remove gravel, wipe tank, add sand, add water, replant, replace ornaments, wait for sand to settle, re-add fish, turn on filter when there's no sand left floating about). Sound about right?

How many bags of argos playsand (the 15kg ones) will I need to cover the bottom of my 48"x18" (aqua one royale, bow-front) tank? One should be enough, surely?

Thanks again people :good:
 
If it helps, i got about a 2 inch thick layer with about 3/4 of a bag of argos playsand in a 24" x12" tank.

Your 'drill' sounds good to me, just wash the sand before you touch the tank and spend some time on it. The more you wash, the less cloudy the tank will be after. Of course it will clear up but its better for it to be as clear as possible, eh?
 
One bag should be enough :good: You don't want a deep covering of sand as it's difficult to keep clean. Make sure to stir the sand up at least once a week.
 
Thanks guys. Hmm, Geoff - I might get two bags then, just to be on the safe side and have a load left for top-up (plus, I'm bound to be a retard with the gravel cleaner the first time I use it and suck up a few kilos of the stuff :D)
 
My recommendation, is wash, wash and then wash some more!!!!

It really takes some cleaning to get rid of all the dust.

Also I have a bit of a Malaysian Trumpet Snail infestation, but bless em, they keep that sand so well turned over I've never had one problem with trapped pockets.

Cleaning has been really easy.

HTH
 
Thanks. Looks like that's my evening sorted out then :)
 
3 hours 15 minutes later and I'm done (and a bit wet) :D

Pics to follow (once I find my data cable)
 
Awesome! :good:

I just switched mine over to sand not too long ago, followed the instructions for washing but probably could have used a little more! It was not till the next morning (10 hours later) that I could finally see through the other side of the tank. Didn't have much choice but to put the fish back in... although they didn't seem to mind it one bit.

I wouldn't go back!
 
My recommendation, is wash, wash and then wash some more!!!!

It really takes some cleaning to get rid of all the dust.

Also I have a bit of a Malaysian Trumpet Snail infestation, but bless em, they keep that sand so well turned over I've never had one problem with trapped pockets.

Cleaning has been really easy.

HTH
you wont ever get a problem with trapped pockets

the anaerobic bacteria that grows in this pockets is good...it converts nitrates to nitrogen which can then gas off...they also contain sulphur dioxide...the worlds most deadliest substance but as soon as it hits oxygen their is an immediate reaction which makes it harmless...out tanks are oxygen rich otherwise the fish wouldnt survive in them. if one is disturbed you will get an eggy smell come to the surface...but it is 100% safe
 
Before
20090625202810.jpg


After
20090804210433.jpg


...and the happiest little cory in the world :)
20090804210506.jpg
 
those cryptocorynes need to come up a bit so the rhizome (the narrow bulb at the base of the plant) is above the sand otherwise it will rot and kill the plant.
 
Hehe, I feel partially responsible for your decision! :lol:
Looks great though. Do you like the change? Wait till you see the corys snuffling around in the sand. It's adorable!
 
Thanks for the rhizome advice, I've pulled them up a bit :good:

And it's all your goddamn fault curiosity! ;) No, I reallyl ike the look of it. I just need to wait for everything to totally settle down, the plants to bed in and go a bit greener, and I'll be happier still. Looks like it should be ok to clean, I did a test run from the gravel-vac and the crud on the top just floats on up the syphon and the sand stays where it is. No more mashing about in substrate woo! :)
 
Hehe :shifty:
I Lurrve that piece of wood by the way. Where did you find it?
And I'm liking that tip on the rhizome too. I've just planted some new crypts and didn't know. :crazy:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top