Changing T5 Bulbs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flubberlump

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've had my Juwel Lido 120 running for about 4 years. It's a high tech setup with pressurised co2, dosing TNC+ weekly with a water change, and TNC plugs. I ran out of co2 a couple of months ago so stopped dosing but this has now resumed. When I wasn't dosing, the plants started to look a little sad but are perking up again now.

My issue is, I've only recently read that t5s should be changed periodically. How I managed to miss this I have no idea, I did loads of research before I set up the tank! As a result, my tubes have never been changed. I am now changing them! There is no writing left on the tubes, it has disappeared over time. Having looked online, the standard tubes are 2 x 24w hi- light day tubes. This is assuming that they haven't changed since I bought my tank. Whatever they are, they need changing.

What tubes do you recommend I get considering that my tank is planted? Tank measurements are 61x41x58cm. I have vallis, anubia, an Amazon sword, Java fern, Java moss, sow, sort of staurogyne (I think) - this needs moving as its not receiving enough light lower down so has dropped its lower leaves, have also forgotten to trim it down periodically, so I'm going to cut off the bare stems and plant the top parts. That's on today's to-do list when I do the water change. I have also just bought an alternanthera reineckii rosanervig and another reddish plant which I don't know the name of. I'll be posting a 'what is this?' thread at some point as I can't seem to find what it is in the plant index or online.

I did have some salvinia natans floating for a while but it took grew like crazy so I got rid of it and now just have the vallis growing over the top. I keep this well trimmed so that it doesn't block too much light, but just to provide a bit of shade for the fish and the anubia.

I really have no idea what tubes to get.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the lengthy post!

hiya, I run one daylight tube and one tube specifically designed for plants. In general it should say on the box which is which and what is the desired result. 

As you've not been aware about changing tubes I'll pass on something else you might not be aware of. When one tube blows on the Juwel lighting unit neither tubes work. I found this out by accident. I had a tube blow on my Rekord 800 and the lights just went out altogether. I thought that the fuse had blown so changed it - nothing. Then I checked the switch - nothing appeared wrong with that either. I decided to go and buy a new tube (you could tell it had blown as it was black at the ends) and replace it and then the lights came back on! I was so relieved as a new light unit costs well over £100 which means you might aswell buy a new tank!

You also don't have to use Juwel branded tubes - standard Aqua glow tubes, for instance. fit fine (that's what is in my Rio 240). It's always worth checking though as sometimes Juwel do offers where you can buy one and get the other half price or similar. Sometimes Juwel's own brand is priced about the same. 

One other thing to mention, try to get these tubes at 6,700K or thereabouts, anything between 5,000K to 7,000K is considered optimal for plant growth and health.

The actnic blue and 10,000K plus tubes tend to be for marine tank set up for optimal growth for corals.

No I didn't know that Akasha thanks!

I'll look for some of those then Ch4rlie.

How often should I be changing them? Just had a good old 4 hour overhaul and plant clear out :D

I tend to change mine when they blow - which tends to happen maybe once every couple of years. If you follow guidelines though it's generally accepted that they need changing once a year to prevent algae growth and promote plant growth/health.

I've asked about light tubes before as to whether they affect the fish as they age and the concensus seems to be no, they don't. So really it's up to you. If you see a lot of algae growing and deteriation in plants and you know your tubes are getting old then change them :)

In the past the phosphor in the tubes would degrade and the light output would slowly drop.  So if you wanted to keep light levels constant you had to periodically change the bulb.  However over the years improvments have been made and todays tubes will last longer than those made in the past.  The best way to know if you need to change the tubes is to periodically measure the light output with a meter.  If the light output drops you can either replace the tubes or leave the light on longer.

that's interesting Steven. My tubes are over a year old and I've not seen any problems. In fact I stain my water with redbush tea as my fish don't like the brightness of the lights

Advances in technology eh! Save us a fortune :D I've had mine going for 4 years and no problems so far. I'll have a look into the one you have for your plants though Akasha!

I have a lido so the tubes are 438mm, I can only find Juwel ones, not a problem. They come with 2 x 'day' as standard, which are 9000K. They also do a 'colour' which is 6800K. Would you recommend 1 of each or 2 x colour? I've only seen the 'day' in person as that's what I currently have. I'm not sure what the 'colour' looks like.

I also don't know whether to get a reflector. It's quite a deep tank so it may be of some benefit? Lighting is sooo complicated!

Planted tank tubes tend to be changed every 6 - 12 months.

Fish only, usually when they blow

I would go with one 'day' tube and one 'colour' tube. Having had a look on their website it would seem those two will give you the best all round lighting system :)

Ok I'd better get them changed them seeing as they're 4 years old!

That's what I was thinking too Akasha, I'll get some ordered. I've seen how awesome your plants look too :)

aww bless you, my plants just seem to grow and grow. The plant fert daily and co2 seems to be why and I'd recommend it to anyone. When I added my ferts weekly the plants didn't grow like they do now :)

I use co2, TNC complete weekly and TNC plugs. They've been neglected a bit recently as I ran out of co2. So I stopped ferts and let the vallis go a bit crazy growing over the surface to block out some light for the plants below. Everything is ok, if a bit sad, and some diatoms which I mostly scrubbed off yesterday. I managed to get hold of a new fire extinguisher so everything else is back up and running now! Gave all of the filter sponges a good swish in the old water yesterday too and I can't believe how much surface movement I'dlost! I tend to just change the filter wool at each water change and give each sponge a swish occasionally in turn. Clearly not often enough!

Just the lights to sort now. I've just ordered some which should be here this week, so I'm all set again high-tech wise!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back