Changing substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kamdavid

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Decided to go to sand. Bought the quickrete play sand.

going to transfer all fish , air stone , and heater into a bucket . Then empty the whole tank.Save 5 or 10 gallons of water from the tank.

wash the sand. Place it in. This is where I don’t know what to do.Wash it how much. And sand will float , etc ?

then add water , chemicals. Plants. Decorations. And fish.

Wash it till its not super cloudy :)
Most of it will sink

It takes a LOT of washing. I found that in a large tank it is easier to just fill it some, stir it, drain it. Probably 8 times. When it starts to look pretty clear then you can let it settle. It will be reddish at first. I used a python to drain.

I made a sort of filter/strainer with garden cloth and some poles. I had it over a large tub and sprayed it till it came clean and dumped it in a bucket and did it again with a new handful

It takes a LOT of washing. I found that in a large tank it is easier to just fill it some, stir it, drain it. Probably 8 times. When it starts to look pretty clear then you can let it settle. It will be reddish at first. I used a python to drain.
With our water prices here I shouldn’t do that lol. It’s a 20 gallon . How much sand should I use ? Half a bag? It’s 50 lb bag.

Ill wash it very well beforehand in a bucket.

With our water prices here I shouldn’t do that lol. It’s a 20 gallon . How much sand should I use ? Half a bag? It’s 50 lb bag.

Ill wash it very well beforehand in a bucket.
About half or 3 quarters

I changed a 125L and then half a 240L. I think the process was as follows:

1. Clean sand in a bucket. I used the bathtub and rinsed it until the water was no longer cloudy.
2.Remove rocks, logs, and other decor. Then scoop out old substrate.
3. Take out circa 50% of tank water (as if doing a water change).
4. Carefully pour in sand with filters turned off.
5. Return decor and the rest of the water, then turn on filters.

I did not remove my fish, nor did I change all the substrate in one go.

I think some of this is unnecessarily complicated. I have changed substrates so many times.

Siphon tank water from near the surface into the container in which the fish will temporarily live. And, it is never a good idea to change out the substrate (entire) with the fish inthe tank. It is not only severely stressfulon the fish, you stand the very real chance of poisoning them from disturbing anaerobic areas of the substrate as one of our members did recently. Put some of the decor into the temporary fish container to ease the fish, and float some plants on top. Then remove everything from the tank and clean the tank; do not save the old water, it has no benefit but quite the opposite. Add the washed sand to the tank, about 1.5-2 inches uniform depth (this is a 20g tank); add the decor, plants. Fill with fresh water, use a conditioner only. When the heater and filter are working and everything looks OK, net the fish in. Make sure the parameters (GH, pH and temperature) are reasonably the same between fish container water and the new tank.

Washing the sand is easiest in a bucket. About five or six cups of sand, rinse five or six times, drain out the water as best you can, dump the sand into the tank. Once you have the decor and plants, it may be quite cloudy; I usually drain the tank down to the sand and carefully refill running the water into a large bowl or similar as this will overflow and avoid disturbing the sand. The dirt in the sand is just dirt.

So far ... the brown water is because of the fluval stratum being disturbed.

Attachments

• 8392C108-45BE-4FAC-9191-FC06EA923C79.jpeg
    8392C108-45BE-4FAC-9191-FC06EA923C79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 121
  • D03ECE15-706C-4760-B148-ED7D53BC3EC3.jpeg
    D03ECE15-706C-4760-B148-ED7D53BC3EC3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 121
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 106

Most reactions

trending