Changing Sand?

jameshiggins

Fish Crazy
Joined
Nov 16, 2007
Messages
257
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
swindon,wiltshire
hi there, im gunna buy some new playsand and completly change my tank around i suppose the best way to get the old sand out is to syphon.

with taking the old out and new in i guess its gunna get prestty 'messy' in the tank for a while is this ok for the fish if not wots the best way to go about doing it?

many thanks
james
 
take the fish out... and turn your filter off... take everything out (plants, driftwood... etc) then just syphon it out if u can.... if not use a net to scoop it out then put the new play sand in and let it settle... u obviously know how to clean the sand befor and all that jazz
 
I was going to post a topic about this, too. I want to change out my white sand to black sand. I have tried using a long syphon hose going out the window, but it clogged up easily. If you had the regular python, you might be able to do it, but I don't know. I haven't tried using a small syphon, because it's a 125 gallon tank. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to use the net and bucket method. :rolleyes:
 
take the fish out... and turn your filter off... take everything out (plants, driftwood... etc) then just syphon it out if u can.... if not use a net to scoop it out then put the new play sand in and let it settle... u obviously know how to clean the sand befor and all that jazz

thanks do you think the fish will be ok in a polybox for a few hours?, im guessing the best way to clean all the sand is put it in a bucket and rinse it with shower or something?

many thanks
james
 
can you run the filter and heater in the polybox while you are switching over? that would help, yes you can wash sand in the bathtub, or outside with the hose if its warm, I would pre wash the sand and have everything ready to go before you take the fish out of the tank.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top