Changing Out Filter Media

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

rpgmomma8404

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My filter media in my 10 and 15 gallons are falling apart. Active carbon is falling out of them. How would I go about switching them out without having a mini cycle? The 15 gallon tank has two filters running on it but one of the filters I changed the media on a few weeks ago. I didn't have a mini cycle in the tank but the one I didn't switch is in pretty good shape. My 10 gallon only has one filter so that one I’m sort of worried about. Should I just get the active carbon out of the old filter media and just put in the thingy that holds the active carbon back into the filter with the new one? or is there another way? Any advice would be great.

If they are inserts just toss them and put in a whole new one. The bactira that keeps the sytem in check is still there. Your gravel is holding a bactria bed in it and a new one will start pretty fast on the new media.

msebar said:
If they are inserts just toss them and put in a whole new one. The bactira that keeps the sytem in check is still there. Your gravel is holding a bactria bed in it and a new one will start pretty fast on the new media.
I have sand, does that make a difference? 

The carbon sponges arent for bacteria, just for removing chemicals etc, I always toss them before putting a filter in my tank.  Only put the carbon in as you need to remove meds.  As for the other sponges if they are deterioating, try putting them in a mesh bag to contain them or cut a section off to seed the new sponges you will be fitting.

there will be a small ammount of beneficial bacteria in the substrate also but this will not be the main source.

What filter do you have?  some internal ones have the media in them as well as sponges which I think are better.

Before we tell you what to swap/throw out/keep, can you tell us exactly what is in your filter, OP?

fluttermoth said:
Before we tell you what to swap/throw out/keep, can you tell us exactly what is in your filter, OP?
15 gallon I have a tetra whisper PF10 and a penn plex cascade 80

10 gallon I have a top fin 10

I've been using the disposable filters that are made for them and only planned to change them out when I needed too (like when they are falling apart). 

I was suggested on another forum to use some rite-size bonded filter pads but was not sure if that was a good idea or not.  

I'm not familiar with those filters; can you tell me exactly what media they have in them?

fluttermoth said:
I'm not familiar with those filters; can you tell me exactly what media they have in them?
Just what came with them. The disposable filters. I use the same ones for the top fin and the whisper. The cascade's is a bit different. 

I found some pictures of the filter media I am using. 

This is for the cascade: 

http://www.bigalspets.com/filter-cartridge-for-cascade-80-3-pk.html?utm_source=Google+Products&utm_campaign=Google+Products+Datafeed&utm_medium=Comparison+Shopping&gclid=CJTf8vXR0LoCFY0-Mgodc2QAqw

This is what I'm using for both the top fin and whisper: 

http://www.petco.com/product/3039/Tetra-Whisper-Bio-Bag-Disposable-Filter-Cartridges.aspx

They are cheapo filters but they seem to get the job done. 

And that's all that's in them? There's no sponges or ceramic rings or anything?

Hmm, does not sound they're the best filters in the world!

I'd actually suggest you try to get better filters that can hold sponges and ceramic media at the very least.
Carbon filters are not used as much since they are mainly used for removing meds from the tank water after completion of treatments.

There are quite a few decent HOB or internal filters that will do the job better for you.

Since you are from the US of A I don't know what brands or makes are favoured over the pond but over here in UK, Fluval U internal filters are ok, Marina S series HOB are half decent as well.

Shop around and ask others on this forum for ideas.

fluttermoth said:
And that's all that's in them? There's no sponges or ceramic rings or anything?
The top fin and whisper have these things in them: http://www.thatpetplace.com/replacement-whisper-filter-bio-foam-grid-fits-10?gdftrk=gdfV2226_a_7c268_a_7c6967_a_7c261154&ne_ppc_id=1463&ne_key_id=26576416&gclid=CNuy_-LY0LoCFfA7Mgod3y8AVQ

But that is about it.

I wanted to make DIY filters but the media I wanted was more then what I can afford. I am looking into sponge filters but haven't purchased any yet. 

Ch4rlie said:
Hmm, does not sound they're the best filters in the world!

I'd actually suggest you try to get better filters that can hold sponges and ceramic media at the very least.
Carbon filters are not used as much since they are mainly used for removing meds from the tank water after completion of treatments.

There are quite a few decent HOB or internal filters that will do the job better for you.

Since you are from the US of A I don't know what brands or makes are favoured over the pond but over here in UK, Fluval U internal filters are ok, Marina S series HOB are half decent as well.

Shop around and ask others on this forum for ideas.
Yeah, they aren't but they seem to get the water going at normal levels or I'm just not catching any fluctuations. My major issue right now is the lack of money.
sad.png
I've been trying to find used fish supplies or what not on craigslist but most of it is stuff I already have or they are wanting retail prices. 

In your situation, I would get some pond filter sponge (it's cheap and comes in sheets) and then cut some, to either fit in the cartridges or replace them altogether.

Tricky when money is tight.

Perhaps, if you have not already seen these classifieds, sorry if you have already 

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/219-equipment/

DIY filters would be your best best, but sometimes on Facebook or free cycle type sites, there are people giving away tanks free with full equipment set ups, might be worth a try looking at these.

And if these are problematic for you, then fluttermoth's suggestion is a decent one, much cheaper to get media sponges like that and simply cut out to size.

All that space at the bottom of your Cascade 80 and the tetra whisper PF10 could be filled with small ceramic biological media such as eheim substrat plus for example or just get a suitably cut to size piece of medium foam sponge, Activated Carbon that has been used for a long time (beyond recommended periods) has been found to home bacteria too, but on its own and fresh out of the bag it won't remove ammonia nitrate or nitrite. So if I were in your situation I'd load up the vacant spaces as soon as possible, for cheapness it'll be foam, (even filter floss will make a good home for bacteria providing it's not cleaned either too much or replaced all in one go) and try the best you can and get a little bit more use from your existing cartridges while the new foam gets some bacteria growing in it.
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back