Changing gravel

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Debo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,
When I first got my tank I bought some light blue gravel. My water or maybe it's the algae has discolored the gravel somewhat. When I clean the tank most of it goes away, but now I am really liking the sand colored gravel that I have been seeing at Petco. How do I go about changing ALL THAT GRAVEL? I know I have to completely dis-assemble the tank, but what does that do to the biological filter system? Does it mean I have to cycle the tank all over again? I have 28 fish in a 60 gallon hex tank and no where to put the fish if I have to re-cycle. Will the fish be ok temporarily in a 5 gallon bucket with a couple of aerators and a filter in in for a few hours while I do this.{and the heater of course!}
Deb

ok i was reading some other posts and they suggested using a divider of some sort and change out the gravel slowly......so that the biological filter can establish itself in the new gravel.......i wouldn't change it all at once or put your fish in buckets.......i think slowly would be the best way to do it with less stress to your fish.......maybe other people know more tho :blink:

Deb- do NOT change ALL the gravel at once...what canis said is right. It will take about a month but it will be worth it...here it goes
1) buy a tank divider that will fit the bottom of your tank (a piece of plexi glass will work)
2) get the new substrate.
3) put the divider in the tank (about 1/4 from one end)
4)take out the old gravel (i find a small cup and patience works best)
5)add new substrate.
6)wait a week and do it again replaceing another 1/4 of the gravel...

this way you wont crash ur tank...it will look odd till its done but is worth it.

good luck!

Thanks for the info. I am going to be hard pressed to not have the tank LOOK PERFECT !!!! My friends are going to LOVE THIS ONE. Deb will have something not perfect-yipee........................I am a very anal interior designer!!!!!!!! All joking aside, Thanks for the advice. What a bummer tho.............yuucchhh!!!! 2 kinds of gravel at the same time. What does "crash" your tank mean? :wub:
Deb

Do be careful with dyed gravel - I've heard stories of the dyes not being safe for sensitive fish. Has anyone any more information on this?

Crashing your tank means that all the "good bacteria" have been killed off and the tank will go through cycling again. A lot of the "good bacteria" live in the gravel, hence the suggestion of not changing it all at once. Just a little at a time might not look as nice as you want, but it will save you the heartbreak of losing fish by going through a cycle again.

Most reactions

Back