Changing filter on a new tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Is it possible to swap out external filter without reusing media from old filter on a planted tank with fishes thats around 6 weeks old?
Some of the fish are 2 weeks old.
I've done some reading and the recommendation is to either run 2 filters side-by-side for a month or re-use the media from old filter. However if I do get a new one the media will not be compatible.

With plants growing (as you have said yours are) you do not need to fuss over filters/media. There will be nitrifying bacteria in the substrate anyway, but the plants (fast growing species like floating especially) deal with ammonia faster.

With plants growing (as you have said yours are) you do not need to fuss over filters/media. There will be nitrifying bacteria in the substrate anyway, but the plants (fast growing species like floating especially) deal with ammonia faster.
I’ve requested cancellation hopefully that goes through as it’s not shown as dispatched yet.

My current filter does have mechanical (sponges) and biological (bio noodles and sintered glass) so hopefully that’s enough. I’ll probably give the sponges a good rinse in tank water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back