Chain/dwarf Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

-cAtFiSh-

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm considering getting some chain loaches. I have read about them on the Internet and a few sites have said that they are sensitive to water conditions that may not be ideal for them. Just wondering if anyone who keeps or has kept chain loaches has experienced this..?
It's just that I tried keeping German blue rams a while back which I now know are pretty sensitive fish...so mine died much to my dissapointment. I don't want that to happen again!

It depends a lot on how they are acclimatised as to how sensitive they are, they will be fine in a ph range from 6.5 up to 7.5 and they do like lots of flow and fairly high o2 levels. I currently have 36 and they are in a 75 gallon tank with two large powerheads churning the water and adding plenty of o2 and they are coming on lovely.

They also do best in big groups, the ideal group size would be minimum of 5-6 but personally I would say double that if you want to see their real character :)

I just have an overhanging filter but it seems to create a lot of movement in the water. Plus I have live plants which would add to the O2 levels.

I was thinking of getting about 4 or 5 to start with and then maybe a few more. My tank is only about 24 gallons though so I might have to get rid of the neons if I want a larger group of loaches.

Thanks for your help! :)

They have lots in a LFS near me, but at £10.50 each, you want to be pretty sure a large group of them are going to survive I reckon.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back