Ch4Rlie's New 3 Foot Tank Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You may have mentioned this before, but where do you get all your plants? Seems like all of them are pretty cheap, yet in excellent shape.

(I know you’re in the UK and I’m in the US. Does the website ship worldwide?)

You may have mentioned this before, but where do you get all your plants? Seems like all of them are pretty cheap, yet in excellent shape.

(I know you’re in the UK and I’m in the US. Does the website ship worldwide?)

I got most of these plants either from one of two sources at that time, Maidenhead Aquatics which is a sort of chain store but a more reputable one than Pets at Home which is large UK box chain store with little or no creditbility imho and the other source was from website Tropica which I believe do sell in US as well (not 100% on that), pretty good as most plants grown in vitro so perfectly safe for tanks with shrimps and inverts as well as being snail and bug free.

Who new there were so many variations of Anubias!? :dunno:

I will see if they have Mainenhead Aquatics in the US. I would like to get a huge plant bundle, for a good price. (After my big move)

Oh yeah, loads of different anubias both small and large, most of them pretty easy to grow and nice decorative plants.

Also loads of different varieties of cryptocorynes as well, real good growing plants, worth considering those for all sorts of scenarios for tank set ups.

Just had a thought to help finish off this build thread with some of the last pictures of the full set up for this build journal.

AECFBFD1-F467-4BE3-B72B-479C6623AFDC.jpeg

6376ABB5-0572-45A9-BB0A-695183134B71.jpeg
8E301593-B278-4014-A429-B03B82F2D0E1.jpeg
2F2FD948-3042-4D97-B494-D2ACDCA648D0.jpeg

The other new residences of this 3 foot tank are now home to 6 Pinocchio Shrimps, better yet, 2 of them are berried

View attachment 78923 View attachment 78925
Oh my goodness, I've never seen these before, they're wonderful! I need some in my life now.

So is Maidenhead Aquatics pretty good for reasonably priced, shrimp safe plants then? They seem expensive for fish compared to my LFS so I never go there, but haven't checked out their plant section either.

Oh my goodness, I've never seen these before, they're wonderful! I need some in my life now.

So is Maidenhead Aquatics pretty good for reasonably priced, shrimp safe plants then? They seem expensive for fish compared to my LFS so I never go there, but haven't checked out their plant section either.

Yes and no, I find that with different Maidenhead Aquatics in different areas that some are good and others are a bit meh, some have really good choices of plants and others concentrate more on marine and others have good choices of shrimps and livestock. But hit and miss depending what you want tbh.

But honestly, Pinocchio shrimps are fairly hard to come by, and was pure chance I came across those and after doing some fast research on my mobile in the shop then bought them on the same day I first clapped eyes on them in MA , bought 6 of them if remember right.

Can’t remember price at all but were a little more expensive than Sakura shrimps as was umming and ahhing which specie to get as had limited budget!

But did get some Sakuras the following month when I got paid ;)

The Pinocchios did quite well but they never bred much, not sure why tbh.

Wow, beautiful tanks! I also like that Halfmoon nano tank to the right of it.

Wow, beautiful tanks! I also like that Halfmoon nano tank to the right of it.

Yeah, that little halfmoon tank, I planned that exactly to make it look like part of the 3 foot tank to make a sort of seamless connection.

Turned out really nice actually, shrimps and snails only in that one, black and blue cherry shrimps, rams horn snails, MTS and a horned nerite snail.

Loads of plants as usual, pinched from the other tanks. Basically was a very cheap set up using spare bits and pieces of tank stuff I had lying around.

Yes and no, I find that with different Maidenhead Aquatics in different areas that some are good and others are a bit meh, some have really good choices of plants and others concentrate more on marine and others have good choices of shrimps and livestock. But hit and miss depending what you want tbh.

But honestly, Pinocchio shrimps are fairly hard to come by, and was pure chance I came across those and after doing some fast research on my mobile in the shop then bought them on the same day I first clapped eyes on them in MA , bought 6 of them if remember right.

Can’t remember price at all but were a little more expensive than Sakura shrimps as was umming and ahhing which specie to get as had limited budget!

But did get some Sakuras the following month when I got paid ;)

The Pinocchios did quite well but they never bred much, not sure why tbh.
I'll have to check out my nearest Maidenhead then, and see what they're like for plants,thank you :)

I won't be getting any more shrimp for a while now, since my only established tanks aren't shrimp safe now, but there's a long list of shrimp I want to keep (and fish, for that matter) and these little cuties just got added to it, so thanks!

I'll have to check out my nearest Maidenhead then, and see what they're like for plants,thank you :)

I won't be getting any more shrimp for a while now, since my only established tanks aren't shrimp safe now, but there's a long list of shrimp I want to keep (and fish, for that matter) and these little cuties just got added to it, so thanks!

Yep, do check out your local MA and see what they’re like, hopefully it’s a decent one for you.

Oh yeah, there is a looong list of shrimps I’d dearly like as well so I do know exactly what you mean, good luck with that ;)

You lucky UK’ers... :crazy:
There are plenty of benefits to being a keeper in the US, mind! We don't have the petco dollar per gallon sale or anything like it, you guys have greater access to a wider variety of meds, and as I've mentioned elsewhere, aquaswap on reddit is a great place to find cheap plants, but is US based.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back