Centre Piece Fishes From My 300

flash22

Fishaholic
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
470
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am running out of ideas for my rio 300

so far i have

1 imperial tiger plecs
3 bn plecs

7 Blue Rams.
4 Flag cichlids. (2 pairs)
2 Bala sharks. Aka siler sharks (yes i know)
7 black skirt Tetras. Aka black widow tetras

Comming soon

3-5 clown Loaches
3-5 Khulie Loaches


I had angels before also been looking a discus but prob a non starter tbh with my current stocking

I want something with a bit of colour for the middle/top layers of the tank

Any suggestions welcomed...........................
 
i won't start on about the size that the silver sharks and clown loaches will get cos i'm sure others will!

as for mid to top colourful fish, rainbows would be good.
 
I know about silver sharks and loaches I have 300 litres (65 uk gal) to play with and a large custom tank in the pipeline for next year

Rainbows are a bit on the small side tbh
 
When people say 'rainbows' what do they mean?
Ive' seen 'rainbow tetras', I have 'rainbow Praecox' and the LFS has at least 3 other tanks of fish with 'rainbow' in their name...
 
generally people mean Rainbowfish from australasia, such as threadfin rainbows, red rainbows or my favourite the Boesmani rainbowfish.
most species are under the scientific name Melanotaenia. (except threadfin and red).

Flash22: rainbows aren't exactly small when fully grown! and a small shoal of six fish will take up quite a bit of room in your tank.

how about gouramis?

i'm assuming by your lack of interest in rainbows you'd prefer to go down the cichlid route?
 
Any of the Bowhead rainbows would be good. They do actually get pretty large. A school of red rainbows or boeseamis would be nice. Both reach around 4 inches from my experiences, and are very active.
 
I am running out of ideas for my rio 300

so far i have

1 imperial tiger plecs
3 bn plecs

7 Blue Rams.
4 Flag cichlids. (2 pairs)
2 Bala sharks. Aka siler sharks (yes i know)
7 black skirt Tetras. Aka black widow tetras

Comming soon

3-5 clown Loaches
3-5 Khulie Loaches


I had angels before also been looking a discus but prob a non starter tbh with my current stocking

I want something with a bit of colour for the middle/top layers of the tank

Any suggestions welcomed...........................
Will be too many bottom fish IMO, get a few more sharks and tetras. Centre piece fish Brown Acara
 
I am running out of ideas for my rio 300

so far i have

1 imperial tiger plecs
3 bn plecs

7 Blue Rams.
4 Flag cichlids. (2 pairs)
2 Bala sharks. Aka siler sharks (yes i know)
7 black skirt Tetras. Aka black widow tetras

Comming soon

3-5 clown Loaches
3-5 Khulie Loaches


I had angels before also been looking a discus but prob a non starter tbh with my current stocking

I want something with a bit of colour for the middle/top layers of the tank

Any suggestions welcomed...........................

Im glad you posted this because Im having the same dilema. Ive just got my 300 and my current fish have been transferred to that. 3 Bolivian Ram, 7 Zebra Danio, 4 Oto, 1 Three lined Corie, 2 Cherry shrimp and some MTS. I dont know whether to just add to the numbers I aready have (Ill definately add to the Cory and the Oto) or get another school of Danio or Tetra and 3 decent sized centre piece fish. Considering Im not fond of pretty looking fish, this is proving difficult. Sorry to hijack your thread but hopefully we;ll both get some good ideas too.
I saw some Penguin fish in the LFS which looked pretty cool today so maybe ill have them as my second schooling fish.
 
Thay all get on well i haven't got the clowns yet my !! 2 bn M/F have always been together so no probs there load of hiding places for them my other bn (albino) isn't bothered as long as she gets her food

defiantly want my khulies thay don't take up much room an there funny characters

I like the rainbows but i am a bit unsure about them getting on with the flag cichlid's i have even tho there placid
 
You may already know this but...

I personally would not go with khuli loaches as they get into EVERYTHING and you dont see them very often as they hide all the time.

If you ask you LPS I am sure they would/should tell you that they migrate through all their tanks via the filters. Some shops lower the level of the tank to stop them.
 
Khuilies are fine atleast thay earn there keep by doing some of the house work. lol

I have kept them before and i can sit in front of the tanks watching for hours the smell of food soon brings them out
 

Most reactions

Back
Top